205 grd diesel erratic starting /stalling when idling

Hi there,

MY much loved 205 grd diesel J reg(1992) has just developing a problem. Cold starts poor, wait for preheat light to extinguish but takes

2-attempts to fire engine -was always instant start of first attempt. OK no bit deal ! Waiting for relay switch to click appears better.

I suspected glow plugs. However also when coming to idle after engine is warmed up for over an hour leads to engine cutting out.

Does this later point rule out glow plugs ?

Final clue is on starting from cold the engine appears a little hesitant when throttle applied but this clears and all runs fine.

Grateful for any ideas.

Thanks Matt

Reply to
MATTHEW WOODS

Hi there,

MY much loved 205 grd diesel J reg(1992) has just developing a problem. Cold starts poor, wait for preheat light to extinguish but takes

2-attempts to fire engine -was always instant start of first attempt. OK no bit deal ! Waiting for relay switch to click appears better.

I suspected glow plugs. However also when coming to idle after engine is warmed up for over an hour leads to engine cutting out.

Does this later point rule out glow plugs ?

Final clue is on starting from cold the engine appears a little hesitant when throttle applied but this clears and all runs fine.

Grateful for any ideas.

Thanks Matt

Reply to
MATTHEW WOODS

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

Thanks will give it a go, the fact that the engine cuts on idle when warm confused the issue.

Reply to
MATTHEW WOODS

Hi,

Errr, what comes to my mind, but not certain about that, may be an air intake.

HTH, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T