306 replace bulbs behind the speed indicator

Hello,

I need to replace the lights behind the speed indicator and tachometer at my car. Is it possible to do it myself (without deeper knowledge of cars, but I know how to use tools).

I have a peugot 306, the old version from 1997.

Do you know wich type of bulbs I need?

Katharina

Reply to
Katharina Norta

I don't know what bulbs (in plastic holders) you need (should be able to get them from Peugeot, if not somewhere cheaper) but it's a relatively easy job to do on a 1998 new style (ie. fully electronic).

You need to remove the upper cover of the steering column. 2 Torx screws (can't remember the size) on the underside of the steering column inside 2 deep tubes. You may need a reasonably long/slim screwdriver.

Once that is removed, remove the 2 visible (smaller than previous) Torx screws at the top of the instrument panel fascia surround and any which are at the bottom exposed by removing the upper cover earlier. Now remove the fascia surround.

I don't know whether the next bit will apply to you - you may have a cable driven speedo - mine was electrically controlled.

Then remove the 3 (?) Torx screws holding the actual instrument panel in. The panel should now be loose and movable. Slide the panel forward and slip your hand round the back. There are 2 large electric connectors to disconnect. They have a locking lever on one of the narrow ends, which when released can be pulled up to slowly disengage the connector. Once both are disconnected, then the panel should be free to be removed, which I found to be the most difficult bit.

This bit should now be the same as yours even if you have a cable controlled one and you've disconnected the cable.

I found the best way to remove the panel is to pull it forward and then tip the top towards you so the clear plastic is facing down. Then jiggle it sideways towards the centre of the car, behind the steering wheel. That's the hard part!

Once it's out, the lamps can be removed by rotating the plastic holder on the rear and then pulling out.

I did this a number of times when fixing the speedo motor on my 1998

306, and once you get the knack of sliding out the panel, it's a quick job.

Just don't lose any of the screws down the steering column!

David Hearn

David Hearn schrieb:

Thanks for the fast reply! :-) It sounds not too difficult!

Katharina

Reply to
Katharina Norta

If you are doing it take your time and dont rush as u will make mistakes.

Reply to
Chrs

The bulbs are fairly standard console bulbs, the holders are a different matter and can vary from one car to the next. It is possible to pull the bulbs out if you're careful. You need to wiggle them in the left to right (if holding the holder so the contact pins are top and bottom) and it'll eventually come out.

Reply to
Rexx Magnus

I had to replace my bulbs as all had blown. It was a real pain to get the speedo window out and easy to damage the window. When I did get it out I found 18 bulbs! I replaced all of them (just a push fit). I also had to replace all the bulbs behind the heater controls.

Reply to
harvestmouse

You replaced all 18 of them? you had time todo all that? hahahaha

Reply to
Chrs

I have some thermoplastic (hot water will melt it) and made a little socket to get those fitted. I didn't want to try to unclip all of the cables. :)

Reply to
Rexx Magnus

What happened to cause all 18 instrument bulbs to blow, in addition to the header control bulbs??

David Hearn

I don't know as it was like it when I bought the car (actually one of the speedo lights worked). I think it was just old age and noone could be bothered with the hassle of getting the speedo out.

Reply to
harvestmouse