405 1.9 L Petrol (XU9 engine) leaking water

My daughter's 405 is leaking water and apparently from behind the plastic cover over the timing belt. All I can see from the workshop manual is that the water pump may be the cause. There doesn't appear to be any welch (core) plugs in that area. Can anyone confirm/deny the existance of core plugs here.

If it is the waer pump, can it be removed with the engine in situ?

Only the French (surely) would put a water pump on (inside) an engine where one has to remove the timing belt to get at it.

Ron Beckett Emu Plains, Australia

Reply to
The Becketts

I think sir is getting confused. Timing chains live inside an engine with all the oily bits, timing belts live outside in the dry. Also sir has obviously never dealt with a twin-cam Lotus Ford ;-)

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

had a similar problem with my 405 diesel,thought water was coming from the water pump,which is behind the cambelt cover.took the car to the garage to put it on the ramp for a look from underneath,water was found to becoming from one of the water pipes that enter/exit the pump.

Reply to
wolves

"R.N. Robinson" wrote in message news:cse321$dst$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

wtf have you been drinking today?

Reply to
Mindwipe

usual cause is either water pump (behind the timing cover but still not bad to change) or the coolant manifold behind the engine

Reply to
Mindwipe

"R.N. Robinson" wrote

True - but I did say timing belt, not chain. The pump appears to be behind the belt and the belt has to be removed to get at it. The pump is driven by the cogged belt.

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts

Thanks, gents. I'll look for a leak in a manifold first.

Oh, give me a nice simple Hillman! 8-)

At the the time, the pump looked a right mongrel to change especially in 44+ deg C weather. Fortunately, it has cooled down to only 35 deg C so I might get on to it. At 44 deg, I don't like going out of the air conditioned house.