406 2.2HDI Fuel guage

I have until now been very pleased with my 406 estate. Recently filled up with diesel, the gauge did not register it, then after about

30miles moved up to full. Ever since the guage seems to stop falling at about 1/4 full and the computer reading showing range seems to stick at the same point.

Dealer says it needs a new "pod" costing over £600. The car was bought overseas and is now well out of warranty. Anyone else had the same problem and found a cheaper solution ?. At present the answer is to fill to the brim very 500 miles

Frank B.

Reply to
Frank B

I have the same problem, wondering whether it is a poor connection to the fuel pump, have just sorted out how to remove the back seat now find a rivetted plastic cover, watch my posting, we might both learn something

Reply to
terb

I have the same problem and am doing the same every 500 miles filling right to brim. With my air con problem, passenger window doesnt work, and this..... methings time to sell..................

Reply to
Oli

When the car was in the dealers they asked whether I filled the car with the key turned on in the ignition. I did not think so but cannot be sure as I was 2/3rds the way through a 960 mile journey non stop to the French Alps (canoeing).

Today I filled the car to the brim with the ignition turned on, lo and behold the gauge stuck again then after a while moved to full. What I need now is the nerve to not fill it until the gauge shows empty or it runs out. I am going to on hols with my caravan which should take 3/4 of a tank . I have a can of diesel in the boot and will try and run it very low but the consumtion varies a lot towing and I do not want to stop somewhere dangerous.

Will report back in 2 weeks

Frank B

Reply to
Frank B

Now back from hols.

Kept my nerve and ran the tank very low, the guage is now working properly. The problem must be caused when you re fuel withiut turning off the ignotion properly. £600 saved.

Frank B

Reply to
Frank B