changing catalytic converter on 406 2.1TD

Hi, Just behind the cat on my 406, there a welded joint. Behind this welded joint is about 10" of pipe, which then attaches to the middle box. This welded joint has started to break. I've priced a replacement cat, but wondered if this will needed to be welded in place. If this is the case, then I might as well get the existed joint re-welded. Can anyone let me know if this is the case

Many Thanks Neil D

Reply to
Neil D

I have never seen one which needs to be welded in place. I am sure they come with the pipe already welded on, you replace the complete section. However, if you can weld it up again, why bother with the cost of replacement?

Reply to
Brian

Hi, I recently had the exact issue. At one end (engine) it should be bolted (I had a nightmare with those bolts!)and at the other the pipe is clamped. I bought a replacement from Europarts and all was good. No welds needed. The joint towards the back was too big for the replacement clamp so I had to use the original. Hope this helps

Reply to
energizer

Thanks for the replies, but after a lot of thought, I've had it done in a garage today. I couldn't do the welding myself, so I ruled that out, as if I had to pay someone to take it off to weld it, I might as well have had a new one. It was less than I expected at £127, but other garages charged up to £270, so it varied by quite a bit. Looking under the car though, it didn't look that difficult, it's just I couldn't get under the car enough with just a jack (and I didn't trust it!)

Thanks Neil D

Reply to
Neil D