front knocking on 306

i have a knocking noise coming from the front left of my 306.

i am not sure if it is one or two problems.

firstly when driving, especially when driving slower (round town) there is a knocking coming from the front left. it is worse on bumpy roads but hardly happens at all on fast roads. When turning left there is a slight grinding noise which is worse the tighter the corner.

secondly when driving in gear (and only in gear) at low revs the knocking noise is quite loud, but not apparent when accelerating . at higher speeds the noise is not apparent.

i have been told i need a new back axle as the bushes have gone and have already had a new carrier bearing(bottom bearing) and driveshaft on the left. it seems like the driveshaft is not being held in place properly. could it be the wishbone/anti roll bushes/steering rack/ droplink?

pls help as my car sounds like a precussion section!

Reply to
robind

If you take it to ATS, KwikFit or the like and put it on the lift, you will probably see that the nearside driveshaft boot is split which has allowed road muck into the constant velocity joint which is now buggered. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

I had the same problem with my 306 dturbo, albeit without the grinding noise when cornering. The grinding noise when cornering would suggest the wheel bearings are on the way out, although i cant be sure on that one so best to get it checked out. On my car i replaced the anti-roll bar drop link (simple job - ten mins), which, as it is plastic, wears out or bends very easily, this solved the problem for me and my car is beautifully quiet now!! The drop link only costs about a tenner and is easy to fit so its worth a go. Hope this helps.

Reply to
JC