Spark Plugs 406

now without laughing help me with the following After buying top of range Bosch 4 way electrode plugs,i can't find where the others are! now cars are not my thing so I thought they would be on show sticking out of the block but no.Haynes manual says disconnect a coil plug then undo six or eight bolts and lift off the cover to replace plugs.I've done that but all I see is rubber type grommets,peeling one back showed no plug. I think I can see the plugs but they seem covered by tubes,metal plates etc that I am loathe to undo with my poor knowledge of cars.Appreciate the guidance although i am embarrassed to ask. My garage is on holiday for a week and living out in the sticks it's the only one.Still laughing?Cheers.

Reply to
Hotspur

You won't see the spark plugs on first sight, they are completely covered by the wires and their plugs. You should be able to locate them following the wires to the engine block, there they are connected to the spark plugs. Pull the plugs off the plugs (sounds weird :-) ). Always pull one wire-plug at a time, change the spark-plug and reconnect the wire. If you don't and you fail to keep track of which wire connects to which spark plug you'll have a fun time :-) Before taking the plugs out clean the block around them with a wet rag to avoid dirt falling into the combustion chamber.

Tobi

Reply to
Tobias Meyer

But on the 406, they don't have leads. Take the cover off the top of the engine, held in by 6 5mm allen bolts, disconnect the connector on the end, and lift off the cover. You will see 4 rubber tubes hanging down from the cover. Where these go into the top of the engine, are the plugs, and they are deeply recessed. You need a long socket with a rubber insert to undo the plugs and remove them, or a magnet on a shaft. Put the new plugs in, and do up. Manoeuvre the cover back on (a bit fiddly) then do up the bolts. Not too tight. Don't forget to replace the connector on the end.

Reply to
Nigel

thanks chaps knew i couldn't be that dim,although I had that cover off twice and it still beat me.Regards

Reply to
Hotspur