STOP Indicator

I have never really known what is likely to cause the large STOP sign on the dashboard of my 406 HDI 110 (1999) to come on. The reason that I ask is that today it flickered for a few seconds and a few minutes later flickered again. Since then it has stayed off and I have done another 20 miles. The oil level is fine and the engine temp is exactly as normal. There was, and is, no other sign of a problem, the car seems to be running fine. Does anyone have any idea what is likely to light it up and, for that matter, what is likely to cause just a flicker or two?

Reply to
Buccaneer

It's not brake pad wear is it? I also had this in a Citroen XM but only when I put the right indicator on. Never could really fathom it out, it would go away with a new/cleaned up bulb and then return at random. It gave me hell of a fright when it happened on a busy motorway.

Reply to
Malc

Often caused by low level of the brake fluid. As the brake pads wear, the pistons have to travel further, thus lowering the level in the brake reservoir. Doesn't need much topping up to correct.

Ivar Petur

Reply to
Ívar Pétur Guðnason

Buccaneer I believe the large stop lamp is associated with the control module for the fans. If this is the case try removing the bitrol temp sensor by unplugging. I will check the colour of the sensor for you as there are 3 on my 1.9 Diesel. This should cause BOTH fans to come on. If only one fan or none come on you have a fan problem. Normal ram effect when moving fast will cool the engine unless travelling up hill or making the engine work hard. The temperature gauge is fed from a separate sensor. I am waiting for warmer weather to cure a problem with only one fan working on my 1.9 as this means removing the rad, intercooler and aircon rad. I have proved the problem down to one if the fans or its wiring.

Mike

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

Thanks for the response gents. I topped up the brake fluid as suggested although it was only down by a small amount. This prompted me to look at the power steering fluid which was down to a fraction below minimum and I also noticed that this reservoir has a sensor attached, like the brake one. I have now topped that up as well and will post back here in a week or so if all is now well (sooner if it ain't). As for Malc's right indicator, I suspect it was the car turning and causing the fluid to drop on the same side of the reservoir as the sensor that caused it. I say this because the sensor on the steering reservoir is on the left and the light flickered when I went round a sharp bend to the left which would make the fluid slosh to the right. On my car the brake reservoir sensor is on the right and would be affected by fluid sloshing to the left on a right hand turn. I'll stop now, my head is hurting.

Reply to
Buccaneer

Thanks for the suggestion Mike. I had wondered about that but discounted it because throughout the temperature needle stayed in the same position it has occupied for the last 101,000 miles, i.e. just under 80c, despite my going through rush hour traffic after the incident. You will see in my other response that, after it was suggested that it could be low brake fluid, I also found low steering fluid, so I have topped up both and will now wait and see what develops.

Keith

Reply to
Buccaneer

At the risk of continuing a pointless debate, mo it wasn't. I put the indicator on before turning right or overtaking and that's when the fault happened. Once you got used to it, you could happily ignore it.

Reply to
Malc

Weird. But you must admit my suggestion, however wrong, does sound good. Bit like Magnus Pyke if your memory goes back that far.

Reply to
Buccaneer

Yes and yes. I have had the sloshing brake fluid option on another car. Is he dead yet?

Reply to
Malc

Regrettably yes, he made science enjoyable and used his arms in speech like he was a windmill. Long live Sir Patrick Moore who keeps the wonderful eccentric scientist image going.

Reply to
Buccaneer