what is likely to break

on a 200tdi LR90 when the cam belt breaks when you are going along ?

and will it be expensive ??

Reply to
Denis F

On or around Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:14:53 +0100, Denis F enlightened us thusly:

eek. dunno, to be honest. best of luck...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Best case scenario - no damage at all, most likely - bent pushrods, worst scenario - broken psitons, rods maybe even crank if you were going fast enough.

As above - no, not too bad, very.

Was it overdue for a change?

Reply to
Exit

Ah, I can answer that one without even knowing what engine or car it is.

If it's expensive - it's broken If it's cheap - it's miraculously survived

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Oh dear...

The term "will it be expensive" doesn't mean much here.

The term "How expensive will it be" springs to mind, but hey, look on the bright side, I'm sure there is one... :-)

(Worst case: pistons, conrods, block knackered. Generally: valves snapped - heads off, 300 quid jobbie, rarely: buggerall damage other than pride - if you get this, don't bother posting here again as we'll all hate you...) HTH :-)

Reply to
Mother

Trying out PickItUpandShakeIt II ©, the ultimate Etch-A-Sketch killer app, Denis F screendumped :

If you're well-spawny, nothing. If not (I don't remember which, but some engines have 'safe' heads (some Montegos & similar, not LR, I think but ICould be wrong)) worst case snapped crank, holed block, trashed 'box and head when you land if it locks up when you're in 'full berries' mode.

Hope you just bent valves - it's a head-off job anyway so probably new valves (hopefully just one or two), timing belt and top end gasket kit.

Friend's MkII PI (Triumph) snapped timing chain, snapped valve head jammed piston (@6250 rpm - slightly modded) and it threw the flywheel. Literally. Through the bellhousing. I expected propshaft bolts to go first (not at the time - at the time I thought) ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitI'MGONNADIE

Zeus timing gears anyone? There was a recall on some (IIRC)200tdi's for timing belt probs. If they didn't tell you, it could be free (and gen.LR factory-approved fix) ?

Reply to
weallhatebillgates

On or around Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:30:12 +0100, weallhatebillgates enlightened us thusly:

300TDi is the one noted for timing belt woes.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Trying out PickItUpandShakeIt II ©, the ultimate Etch-A-Sketch killer app, Austin Shackles screendumped :

Oops.In my defence can I say Series, petrol and quick LRs? I only had one with this prob (ironically in a Series), it was years ago and /quick bodyswerve I typoed! these keys are too bloody close together. Especially if your jacket laces up the back and you're typing with your nose...

2
Reply to
weallhatebillgates

it just slowly came to a stop - so maybe not worst case stuff...............

Reply to
Denis F

I'll let you know.....................

Reply to
Denis F

Cam belt went in my Astra.

Head Off - Rescimmed.

16 new valves, Yes i bent all of them. 16 new valve sliders. New Water pump. £1500 later, it was back on the road.

DOH!!!

Reply to
mark solesbury

My Astra temp was getting higher, AA man arrived and said he'd recover as the water pump was leaking big style and if it collapsed it would take the belt with it, I can understand why now :)

All the best

Reply to
wayne

Not expensive then :-D

Expense is relative to income and subject to comparison. Some cars cost this much to service regularly. Me? Yes I consider it expensive if it is due to a design fault or if it goes between its scheduled change point. IMO far too many of these things go bang. It is not acceptable in what should be a durable quality vehicle. Is it acceptable in a Land Rover?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Bloke in our club did this a while back in his 200TDi Disco, giving it about half throttle on a pay and play site. The damage? 3 bent pushrods! Go figure!

Needless to say, I have a new cam belt fitted to my new disco, but am hoping to save for a set of Zeus gears for in time for when it is next due!

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfriend's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Yep, somebody somewhere must have had the brain wave to use the water pump as the timing belt tensioner. Ooow fantastic! What's even more scary is that he managed to convinse a load of other pepol that this should go into production... :-S Toby

Reply to
TVS

Take the Fiat Coupa... engine out job to change the timing belt. Fiat quote £1500 to do this alone! Toby

Reply to
TVS

running ok with just a new set of pushrods today..............

Reply to
Denis F