1989 Pontiac Grand Prix

1989 Pontiac Grand Prix LE 2.8-liter V6

My '89 GP has a strange electrical problem, here are the symptoms...

  1. When you turn on the ignition, the cooling fans runs.

  1. When the fan stops running, you're then able to start the engine.

  2. If the hood is open, and you close the hood while the engine is running, the engine will immediately stall.

I've consulted several people about this, and so far, I've replaced the cooling temperature sensor, which seemed to work, until I closed the hood. Another person suggested that the problem is the "electric" or "ECT" relay (which is being affected when you close the hood).

Most people are totally stomped! Anyone here have any suggestions?

Reply to
Alan

Does the fan still run with ignition on after you changed the sensor?

Reply to
Chevguy

Sounds to me to be a loose connection that is jarred when there is a vibration. It could also be a broken wire. The only suggestion is start doing a test to see which wire is broken or loose. Do you have an OHM meter? This might take hours to track down.

Reply to
Les Benn

Chevguy and Les Benn, thanks for the replies. I'm no longer repairing that car because it's been sold.

Reply to
Alan