2000 Montanna Transmission acting wierd

Our 2000 Montana has 64K on it. The transmission started to shift hard. Like it was slipping then would clunk into the next gear. I noticed the fluid was low. Added more and never did it again.

It does it once in a while. Once in about 500 miles or so, then is fine the next day.

Should I change the fluid, filter and add conditioner? Is there something I can look for?

Lannie

Reply to
LS

Take it to a dealer or another repair facility with a scanner that can communicate with the PCM in order to read codes and service data. There may already be enough information stored in the PCM to give someone an idea why this is occurring.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Tests of the computer found nothing. $50 down the drain.

Reply to
LS

This is a bad omen for your transmission. Eventually, and overhaul or replacement will probably be necessary.

Reply to
hyundaitech

As a routine I drain the pan and change filter yearly on my 98 Montana w/103K miles. Other than the initial mess, the pan is easy to get off. There should be some gray material accumulation that can easily be wiped out of the pan. It takes 6 - 8 qts of ATF. I'd be concerned why the fluid level was initially low. Where did it go? I've read the rebuilders like to put in a bottle of LubeGuard (red bottle) however I have no personal experience with the product. It may be hype. Generally additives aren't recommended.

Reply to
DonW

I burnt the fluid badly in my 92 S10 with 275K on it. It was solid black when it came out. The tranny shop changed it and said to put some Lucas treatment in it, otherwise they thought it was a loss.

I put some in after changing the fluid and filter. Have 300K on it now and still pull 3000lb camper with it. I've heard nothing but great things about that stuff.

I will drop the pan this weekend and change the filter and fluid. Add some Lucas and cross my fingers. :)

Thanks,!

Reply to
LS

Just changed the transmission fluid and filter. There was very little metal on the magnet. It looked brand new under there. Added a quart of Lucas fluid treatment and will see what happens.

LS

Reply to
LS