2001 Grand Prix - no power + sluggish

Over the last week or so, I have noticed my 2001 Grand Prix didn't feel right/had lost some of its power. Yeasterday, things got worse. The thing will go no more than 40 MPH and it sputters when you try and increase speed. My first thought was fuel filter (81,000 miles - never changed). My mechanic also independently thought fuel filter so he changed it. It made no difference. There are no codes thrown (he tells me) and the fuel pressure is apparently OK. He now thinks that perhaps the clogged fuel filter (yes it was) may have caused the line in the fuel tank to burst partially due to buildup of pressure. With pressure at the fuel rail OK, does that sound right? He mentionmed that while pressure was OK, perhaps the volume was not. Sounds plausible? Any ideas as to what the problem might be are welcomed. Thanks.

Reply to
Niels Petersen

Shep

Thanks, Shep. You turned me on to Cat issue and wouldn't you know that I found a letter from GM (in my very own glove box) spelling out the extended warranty. For others coming across this, GM has extended the warranty on the Cat to 10 years/120,000 miles. By the way, the Service Writer was NOT aware of this warranty extension, but he was smart enough to double check it with someone who knew...

Anyway, dealer replaced Cat for free and the car has more pep than I remember it hav> Lots of cat issues including an extended warranty on them, have the back

Reply to
Niels Petersen

Thanks, Shep. You turned me on to Cat issue and wouldn't you know that I found a letter from GM (in my very own glove box) spelling out the extended warranty. For others coming across this, GM has extended the warranty on the Cat to 10 years/120,000 miles. By the way, the Service Writer was NOT aware of this warranty extension, but he was smart enough to double check it with someone who knew...

Anyway, dealer replaced Cat for free and the car has more pep than I remember it having in a long time. In hindsight, performance must have gradually declined over several months. The paperwork stated that the back pressure was 20 PSI. I have no idea how much above normal this is, but...

Shep wrote: Lots of cat issues including an extended warranty on them, have the back pressure check using a gage in the pre cat sensor sensor port.

Reply to
Shep