Long rambling nonsense, if you aren't into cars ignore and go kill yourself

Ray, what are you smoking? Before you indicated afordability as the test. Now you claim it is availability. I know for a fact that Vettes are available, on lots, can be test driven and can negotiate price. Under the "new" rules, that makes it a regular car. If you go back to the old rules of affordability, the steep price on Hemi equipped models is valid point against them being "regular" cars too.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Come on, look who buys Corvettes. Attitudenally challenged cats with midlife crises issues. There are so many better cars with more bang for the buck that vettes are pretty much a standing joke anymore. Course I should probably keep my mouth shut seeing as how I plan on plunking down money for a toy I don't really need.

Reply to
FBR

I know a good number of car guys that have always wanted a Corvette, Real Car Guys, that work on cars for a living.

Usually they are in their late 30's before they can afford to buy one, even to restore. Of the ones I know that own them, the only way they will give them up is to have the steering wheel buried with them due to their death grip. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Not having actually tried to purchase a 300C, I can't vouch for them being overpriced, etc... but I've seen a whole boatload of them lately. I guess "regular" is like the old obscenity test - I know it when I see it. :) Seriously, Vipers, Vettes, SS Camaros aren't regular cars. Pontiac G6's are regular cars. The 300's are regular cars. And considering that 50% of the 300's I've seen are 300C's I'm saying they're regular cars too. I guess by regular I mean "mass market" appeal and >50k sales in the US and no "special" pricing... the 300C may not be cheap, but it's not like they'll be asking $5k over sticker for one - they plan on pumping out a TON of these - they are the replacement for the LH sedans - and they sure the heck are regular cars. Regular cars are bought by "non car people" who were "just browsing" and liked the car - you don't buy a Vette that way. GTO buyers aren't looking for another car - they want a GTO.

Ray

Reply to
ray

Right on Charles - tellin' it like it is! They'll bury me in mine. ;-)

Reply to
Sting Ray

A Honda Civic or a Chevy Cavalier might have "more bang for the buck", but just not enough bang for me anyway. Why is it you think only your personal preferences are universaly valid?

Reply to
SgtSilicon

So do you think it's sacrilege that the new Vettes lost their hideaway headlights?

Reply to
FBR

Okay. If a 300C with Hemi is $33K+, then an SS Camaro is MORE bang for LESS bucks. Of course F-bodies are gone now but...

Reply to
SgtSilicon

My personal preferences are just that, my way of thinking. Of course there are other opinions and they are every bit as valid as mine. They differ by experiences of those who voice them. I personnally only know 2 guys that own Vettes and they both fit the criteria I laid out. Now if I could lay my hands a a 57 Vette...

Reply to
FBR

Umm, that's weight to power....not sure why the media always has that backwards...guess they never had ratios in grade school.

Pontiac's old LIMIT was 10 to 1....that's why they underated the late

60's 'Birds GW
Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Pass on both,and find a 72-74 Cuda

Reply to
steve

How about this for my "regular car" argument?

In 5 years, how many 300C's are going to be for sale with "one owner, low miles, never winter driven?" You'll find Vettes, GTO's, F-Bodys like that. Regular cars get driven in the rain and snow. People don't worry about putting a trailer hitch on a regular car. It's not just HP, it's not just $, it's not just low production numbers. It's the "attitude" - a Subaru Impreza is a regular car. A Subaru Impreza WRX is not. 300C's are regular because they're "just another sedan" - (thankfully RWD) - no limited production.... the 300C SRT or whatever they're going to call it - that might be a collector car.

Ray

Reply to
ray

Actually, I like the open headlights. Ironically, when I bought my '63, I labored over whether to buy a 1st year Sting Ray or the last of the open headlight and actual trunk models ('62).

Reply to
Sting Ray

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 04:39:12 GMT, "FBR" puked:

I spent the weekend driving a third gen that I would get halfway where I was going before the vacuum popped the lights up.

lab~rat

Good thing I wasn't talking about HP/Litre, which is a meaningless measure anyways, since if you spin any motor fast enough you can hit any HP number, Assuming it doesn't blow itself up.

Power to Weight Ratio rolls off the tongue better then Weight to Power ratio I guess.

That and government/insurance reasons...

Reply to
Paradox