Large Vehicles Kill More! Smart Cars Less!

Mack and Mike Hunter (the pseudo physicist), would have you believe that small cars are from the devil and kill everyone in them.

-If you add Large cars and SUV's together. The death totals are more than those in small cars. Large cars and SUV's are a separate class in statistics but should go together for all intents and purposes.

Driver Deaths Per Million:

-Small Cars: 108

-Midsizecars: 70

-Large Cars and SUV's: 137 Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

-Take into account, most small cars are driven by college students who are young and not use to driving. That accounts for many deaths in small cars.

-Mind you that does not take into effect the Smart car which is a steal cage, would mostly be driven in large cities where the MPH barely reaches high speeds, and has a 4 star safety rating for front and side impact.

-Just trying to demystify the ridiculous idea that smaller is more dangerous and teach the apologist for large gas guzzling vehicles a thing or two.

Reply to
GoMavs

Really? Citations that most small cars by driven by college students.

The Smart car is barely available in the US. It has a negligible effect on the statistics.

Then get your facts and citations correct.

What makes you think:

1) That you are going to convince him or anyone else of anything? 2) That he should beleive your supported statements?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

if everyone had a '67 Dodge, there would be less injury and death.

Reply to
Nza

Interesting. But of course you'll never get the huge vehicle lovers to believe it.

I also think a factor might be that those in large vehicles think they're so much less vulnerable, and take more chances?

Could be.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Nza" ...

Cuz they wouldn't be able to leave the house?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

How many miles does yours have?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Most small cars are driven by college students. I see the every day at the university I attend. A sea of small eco cars. Your average family car is not a smartcar or yaris or any other kind of small car. Most old people I know drive larger cars or midsize cars.

Who said it did? I pointed to the safety rating.Over-all the smart car won't be for long haul driving... I gauruntee you that.

I don't expect him to believe my supported statements. I know he is mildly retarded. I am just pointing the facts out just incase there is a small glimmer of hope that his down syndrome mystically disapears.

Reply to
GoMavs

Possibly... plus SUV owners tend to live in the same areas. For example, you arent going to find a large sum of SUV's in Garland, Texas ( a lower class city) but you will find a large sum in Plano, Texas (a higher class city).

I saw a wreck once, where 3 grand cherokees all colided at the same time. What are the odds?

Reply to
GoMavs

So this is an anecdote.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

In other words, you have failed to back your claim.

You don't have any supported statements.

Really? Unless he is out and out lying about having been an engineer and owning dealerships, he is clearly not retarded.

your opinion.

First of all, I have a cousin and had several patients with Down syndrome.

It just doesn't disappear, even proper treatment and education.

I find your comments insensitive.

Second, Mike doesn't have Down syndrome. I don't think he has much in the way of assimilating new facts, but, he doesn't have Down syndrome, nor do his behaviors suggest he does.

Third, you have not offered him anything evidence, other than your personal opinion and your anecdotes.

The evidence is out there that people in small trucks are more likely to die than those in cars (when includind single-vehicle crashes and rollovers), but, you failed to cite any evidence supporting your opinion.

I clearly don't support Mike's opinion, but, you don't provide any evidence to contradict it.

All the best,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I don't need to back a claim that grass is often green in the spring time, or that clouds are made up of h20, or that decaying matter stinks. If you think the average family of 4 are driving around in smart cars and Yaris's, then okay. If you think the average college student is driving around in a Hummer, the more power to you. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If your opinion is that I have to supply statistics on everything you don't like then you are going to be waiting a long time.

Make up your mind.

How convenient!

Wrong, I supplied the deaths per million for small vehicles, large cars and SUV's and midsize cars.

Just because you don't like the fact that I claim small eco cars are usually used by college students and young singles and just because I cannot support stats to back that up does not mean anything. It's pretty basic knowledge that your average family isnt rolling around in a hatchback. But whatever. You are a suck up and nothing more.

Reply to
GoMavs

In the end, larger cars and SUV's create more deaths per million than smaller cars. That means more people die from accidents in small cars and SUV's than do in tiny "smart cars."

While it can all be looked at on a case by case basis, the over-all point if that more people die in larger cars. End of discussion.

No, it is not a golf cart. It is a steal framed small vehicle that can out run a ferari in 0 to 60. It will be a great innercity vehicle or suburban vehicle for single people and college students.

Reply to
GoMavs

"Jeff Strickland"

*snip*
*snip*

LOL - good description.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Really? I see plenty of families using small cars.

And, I see plenty of young people who are just starting out, but not going to college.

To whom am I sucking up?

The bottom line, you are as bad as you seem to think Mike Hunter is.

Reply to
Jeff

actually, don't have a '67 dodge... have a 49, 56, 69, 70, 71, 74, 85, and a 99. Of all, the 99 van is the one i feel the least safe in. F'rinstance... had to remove the driver's side door latch yesterday because it is mostly made of broken plastic. Due to the weakness of the whole vehicle, the mounting points have ripped off the door.

A few months ago, I hit some slick pavement and slid off the road after doing a 180 in my '79 Celica. I ended up in a 45-degree ditch on the opposite side of the road. When standing at road level, my knees were higher than the roof of the car. The car was winched from the ditch and thanks to my seatbelt, i had no injuries at all. I still drive this car every day.

Tell me *any* new car that will slide off the road at 40 mph backward and still be driveable with nothing bent except the right rear rocker panel.

My brother blew a tire on the left rear of my '83 GT Celica. He was doing 75 on I-95. For some reason he lost control and the car did a

180 into the median. He came to rest on the guard wire. As wrecked as the car was, after changing a tire, he drove 4 hours home. Again, try that in a new car. You'd have to re-set your nose from the airbag and then get all that trash out of the car.
Reply to
Nza

"Nza" "Wickeddoll®" :

actually, don't have a '67 dodge... have a 49, 56, 69, 70, 71, 74, 85, and a 99. Of all, the 99 van is the one i feel the least safe in. F'rinstance... had to remove the driver's side door latch yesterday because it is mostly made of broken plastic. Due to the weakness of the whole vehicle, the mounting points have ripped off the door.

***They don't make 'em like they used to.

A few months ago, I hit some slick pavement and slid off the road after doing a 180 in my '79 Celica. I ended up in a 45-degree ditch on the opposite side of the road. When standing at road level, my knees were higher than the roof of the car. The car was winched from the ditch and thanks to my seatbelt, i had no injuries at all. I still drive this car every day.

***We had a '80 Celica that we drove to junkyard because it was rusted out. Had nearly 300k on it. (we bought it used)

Tell me *any* new car that will slide off the road at 40 mph backward and still be driveable with nothing bent except the right rear rocker panel.

***beats me.

My brother blew a tire on the left rear of my '83 GT Celica. He was doing 75 on I-95. For some reason he lost control and the car did a

180 into the median. He came to rest on the guard wire. As wrecked as the car was, after changing a tire, he drove 4 hours home. Again, try that in a new car. You'd have to re-set your nose from the airbag and then get all that trash out of the car.

***But the lighter bodies are better on gas, so I doubt we'll see those steel barges anymore.

Reminds me of an episode of "Night Court" where "Christine" was given a Roadmaster by her dad. She was a in a collision with a bus, and only broke a nail.

I'm sure that's an exaggeration, but probably not by much. LOL

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I prefer driving a smaller car because I know where I'm at with it. I know pretty much what she'll do and not do. I know how hard I can hit the brakes without losing control on dry pavement. I know how hard I can jerk the wheel over to avoid something without loosing control of the back end. I know how hard I can hit the gas to accellerate out of a possible mess.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

I see plenty of families using SUV's, cross overs, large cars, minivans, etc

Maybe you like in a weird place...

Reply to
GoMavs

except it isnt

Reply to
GoMavs

"GoMavs" ...

Oh lighten up - I mean it's a good exterior description of it.

And it's funny.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Horsepuckey. I see GoMavs is still shilling for Mercedes-Benz. I hope they see fit to give him one of their little crapboxes to pay him off for his promotional efforts. In my view, the only time a small vehicle beats a large vehicle in safety is in aircraft, where you might have a better chance of surviving a crash if you are in a Cessna 152 instead of a 747, and that's because of the speed factor. But for automobile safety, I'll take a Buick Roadmaster over a Fiat Topolino any day.

Reply to
mack

The fact you are trying to suggest I am shilling for a particular name brand, shows how you have lost this debate.

Reply to
GoMavs