Replacing water pump in '97 Bonneville

I'm replacing the water pump on my '97 Bonneville. One of the bolts is behind the power steering pully. How do I get it out? The bolts to remove the power steering pump also seem to be behind the pully, and even if I could fit a puller in there to remove it, I can imagine how I'd get it back on.

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
Joe Hodsdon

The Chilton Manual says to remove the accessory drive belt, unfasten the four 8mm water pump pulley bolts, then remove the pulley. Remove the four

3/8" bolts and the four 1/2" bolts then remove the water pump from the engine. Nothing about the power steering.

Reply to
Kbach

Yeah, the factory manual says the same thing. But there's one bolt that just won't come out while the power steering pully is there.

Joe

message

Reply to
Joe Hodsdon

Can't you just rotate the PS pulley until one of the holes in the pulley is inline with the bolt its blocking ?

If not can you get on it with an open end wrench or a crows foot .

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~275,068 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Exactly what Harry said: rotate the pulley until a hole is over the bolt.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

I didn't notice the holes in the PS pulley. The water pump bolt doesn't line up with those holes (and I backed it out as far as it will go with a wrench), but I can use the holes to loosen or remove the PS pump bolts.

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
Joe Hodsdon

I am facing the same problem, but it seems to me that the power steering pump needs to be moved out of the way to allow access to the bolt behind the pulley. Is this correct?

Reply to
Raymon

Joe, Did you find a solution to this problem? I have the same problem and need to replace the waterpump on a 98 Bonneville. Can you help?

Reply to
Raymon

I am facing the same problem, but it seems to me that the power steering pump needs to be moved out of the way to allow access to the bolt behind the pulley. Is this correct?

Reply to
Raymon

needs to be moved out of the way to allow access to the bolt behind the pulley. Is this correct?

Raymon if you're going to be doing your own work to your car you had better get a manual.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville