Smelly car

I've got a 2000 Grand Prix. A couple of days ago I was running the A/C when all of a sudden I started smelling a fairly strong smell that was something like sniffing air that comes out of a tire - kind of a rubbery smell. I thought maybe it was the blower fan resistor burning up but the fan seems to work fine. I've got the auto climate control version. It's been a few more days since then and I still get the smell - it accumulates in the car when it sits closed up. Any ideas? Burning up electronics? Leaking coolant? Rubber air?

Thanks, DJ.

Reply to
DJ

Stuuder

I don't think it's a fungus. Not like dirty sweat socks - it's more of a rubbery burnt smell. And it didn't start gradually, it started all at once.

DJ

Stuuder wrote:

Reply to
DJ

you make 'em accelerate hard, they are hord on gas. If you abuse them they are costly to maintain. On the other hand, if you drive them sensibly they can be reasonable on gas and no worse than most to maintain. The later ones seam to have done a better job on the body than the early ones- where the bottoms of the doors and rockers suffered from cancer in the salt belt.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

My husband has to continually clean leaves and other crap out from the front of my Sunfire (just down below the bottom of windshield) - otherwise I get a rotten smell going on. God I wish I could cut that dammed tree down!

Reply to
Jan

Do any controls on the dash feel hot the the touch. Some radios and climate controls get hot and there is plastic near to them that can get hot. If not something under the hood hot or in contact with something hot. Any way it is not a good sign.

JOHN H.

Reply to
John H