Where is thermostat on a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am?

Threaded View

I need to know where the thermostat is located on a Pontiac Grand Am.
Iíve been told to follow the hose from the top of the radiator to the
engine and thatís where itíd be.  But the only hose that I can tell
coming from the radiator goes to the antifreeze resvoir, and then
thereís a couple hoses that go from there to the engine.  Any help
would be appreciated and anyone who knows where I can get some kind of
picture of itís location would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Where is thermostat on a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am?

Think about this carefully...
In order to circulate hot water from the engine to the radiator and
back again, the engine has to have more than one hose.  Look again.

Re: Where is thermostat on a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am?

I had a 1996 Grand Am and the engine in a 1999 is the same and my
thermostat was located on the driver side of the engine where the breather
enters the engine. You have to remove the breather and the housing it will
take about 30 minutes to change. If you go to your local library and pick
up a Chiltons Manual for Grand Ams that will show you a picture and help
you with your exchange.

Re: Where is thermostat on a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am?

If you only hose you can find that come from the radiator is the one that
goes to the antifreeze tank I would suggest that you take your car to a
reputable repair shop and not attempt any repairs yourself.

Re: Where is thermostat on a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am?

kingokrap wrote...
<<<<I need to know where the thermostat is located on a,Pontiac,Grand
Am.
I=92ve been told to follow the hose from the top of the radiator to the
engine and that=92s where it=92d be.  But the only hose that I can tell
coming from the radiator goes to the antifreeze resvoir, and then
there=92s a couple hoses that go from there to the engine.  Any help
would be appreciated and anyone who knows where I can get some kind of
picture of it=92s location would be greatly appreciated. >>>

As with most water-cooled vehicles, it's between the engine outlet and
the radiator inlet. Exact location varies depending on the engine,
which you forgot to tell us about. Ya know, I think FBR is right...

Site Timeline