911 driving experience

Hi, I dont own a 911 yet and have driven one for 30 minutes on one occasion only so i didnt really get to explore the capability's of the car. Can any one here driven a car from a different manufacturer that provides a similar driving experience (rear weight bias). Thanx in advance.

Reply to
simon

simon wrote: :: Hi, I dont own a 911 yet and have driven one for 30 minutes on one :: occasion only so i didnt really get to explore the capability's of :: the car. Can any one here driven a car from a different :: manufacturer that provides a similar driving experience (rear weight :: bias). Thanx in advance.

I own a small car, an Alpine A110, built in 1966. Like a 911, the engine (4 cylinder, 1.3 Liter and something like 130 hp for 650 kilos) is behind the rear wheel. This makes this car very sensitive. Very very good drifting capabilities, over turning car, but it requires a good driving experience. Rear wheels always try to be on front of front wheel. But once you undersand the way it works, I mean putting the front wheel at the good place, at the good speed, this car is fabulous. I think that an old 911 (from 2.0 up to

964 included) will have the same habit. A 964 Carrera 4 or a 993 or younger 911 will be easier to drive and will be under turning when you enter in a curve. Sorry for my poor english but I hope my message will help you

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick M

how bout a yenko stinger? harder to find than a 911 but very similar characteristics.

regards

Reply to
euro930

[...]

Let's say that I sometime drive my father's cars which are an Alpine A110 but with a 1.8L engine (180 hp for 700 kilos) and a '74 930 3.0L (260 hp).

930 is harder to drive because of the turbo lag and the quickness of the torque. As soon as the turbo begins to overcharge, power and torque are coming so so so quick...
Reply to
Patrick M

Just did a google image search on the alipine a110 and you are right, all the pictures seem to show the car in a "tail happy" state. Thanx for the info

Reply to
simon

Reply to
simon

In fact, with this car, the only thing you have to think about is having the front wheel correctly placed when you turn. The tail will follow. The car will slide a lot but if you don't push the gas pedal too much, you don't have to worry about the rear wheel... The only problem I had was a big overturn because I forgot my right foot on the gas...

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick M

Reply to
Sailor

The air-cooled Beetle. Of course it isn't nearly as powerful, and the suspension isn't nearly as good. And the seats aren't as supportive during spirited driving, and the tires suck, and the seating position isn't as good. Oh, and the brakes aren't anywhere near as good, and it's got an old 4 speed...Wait, you know what? Nothing drives like a 911, except a 911. But isn't that why we love it? =) Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman