911 info?

I'm rethinking my 914 fetish. I got this hankerin' fer an air cooled engine. First I looked at VWs but they're too tin-can-ish. The 914 seemed like a good compromise between fun & economy but I think I want to push the fun frontier a little more. I still want a car that's relatively reliable & economical so I've been looking at late 80s - early 90s 911 targas. Here's a great example:

Any thoughts? Any informative websites to help with my 911 education in terms of models, features, years? Thanks.

Reply to
solarsell

"solarsell" wrote

rennlist.com

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

You're in the right neighborhood...but you want to choose from 1987-89. These cars have an upgraded, hydraulic assisted clutch/transmission, improved A/C, and numerous other detail upgrades.

On any preowned Porsche...have a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection...as it can save you thousands in repairs. It's better to pay a little more up front than buy a "money pit". The only semi-chronic problem some of the '84-89 cars had were exhaust valve guides that wore out early. However, this was not on every car, and it's easily determined by a good inspection, compression check, etc.

Oh...you do NOT want an '89 Carrera 4....or any 90-92 cars. They had other problems. You'd want to skip up to '96-98...and some of those are still pricey.

Good luck and regards from Texas...

Reply to
Guru

Buy the latest that you can afford, no?

Sound advice.

But not all of them had the major head leakage problem. Because of this knock on them, many solid cars can be had very cheaply in this year range (90-91). Just make sure the other fixes were done (flywheel, distributer vent, etc). Incidentally, I was not aware that these issues extended to the 89 C4.

You'd want to skip up to '96-98...and some of those are still

IMO, you can go 92/93 and up and be just fine. The 95 only had an alignment issue which is easily handled. OBD-I allows it to be chipped with ease to match the increased power of the 96.

Regards from Seattle. - DS

Reply to
The Dead Senator

I have a 911 Targa of feb 1981 vintage and it's a great fun car to drive and simple to maintain. Who could ask for more? There are loads of interesting web sites created by enthusiasts and one good example is

's something about these cars you either love or hate but oncehooked there's no going back!

Reply to
tim309

As a follow up on the 964, here is part of my email with a fellow P-car enthusiast:

Reply to
The Dead Senator