996 Turbo upgrade?

Hi there,

I've owned my 2002 996 Turbo for just over a year now. Awesome car! Someone was telling me about some sort of "X" package that boosts the HP a bit. It's not a 3rd party add-on. It's done by Porsche and doesn't invalidate the warrantee. Has anyone here done this? Is the HP difference noticeable? What is the cost? Does anyone know the actual name of this add-on so that I can google for it? I suppose it would be easier to ask the sales rep at the dealership, but I'd rather get first hand info from Porsche owners rather than from sales rep!

David

David Sworder

"David Sworder" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó news:mOmlb.59672$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.socal.rr.com...

Reply to
jkk

Great, thanks!

Reply to
David Sworder

There is a "Carrera Powerkit" available from Porsche for the 2002 and later normally aspirated cars that gets an additional 25 horsepower (to

345) This can be installed at your dealer. I'm not aware of there being any similar product for Turbos from Porsche.

There is an X50 option for the Turbo out of the factory that produces about 440 - 445 HP (roughly same as a GT2) but it has to be on the car when the car is built. 2003+ Carreras for the US have an X51 option that makes the car 345 HP (essentially the "powerkit" installed at the factory).

Reply to
Jim Keenan

This is the one I was thinking of... but since my car is already built, I guess I'm SOL. That's a bummer! My dealer didn't even offer me this as an option. :(

Reply to
David Sworder

The 345 HP option for the normal Carrera was not available in the US for the 2002 model year. The US dealers (or PCNA) chose to make the option available starting in 2003. Maybe the Turbo was in the same boat...... You've still got a tremendously fast car.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Hello David,

The package you are referring to is option code X50 Turbo Power Kit. The package includes modified turbo chargers, intercoolers, electronic control units and transmission, and cost just under $18000 when ordered. The power is raised to 450HP, and believe me you notice the difference. If you want this package you will have to get a Turbo with it already installed since Porsche will not retro fit it to non X50 cars. Good luck.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Although they required a skilled driver in good conditions, I've seen non-X50 Turbos dip as low as 3.8 seconds from 0-60 and X50 equipped cars dip as low as

3.6. What this means is that the X50 equipped Turbo can produce GT2 accleration numbers and still maintain the AWD and more luxurious interior of the Turbo. Just for the sake of bringing it up, I also read a blip about the Carrera GT in the new issue of C&D, and they're predicting a 3.5 second 0-62 MPH time, with a possibility of even slightly faster times. It's also been confirmed that the GT does indeed beat the Ferrari Enzo around test tracks.
Reply to
Steve Grauman