996 extended warranty?

Hello all, so I am making the jump into a newer Porsche. I am getting a 2000 C4 Millenium... The dealership I am getting the car from has offered me a 4 year unlimited milage warranty for $2400. The car currently has 44.7k miles on it. What do you guys think? How reliable are these cars? The warranty is from this place:

Any input would be great....

Not gonna sell the 930 for now.. but I might have to eventually...

thanks,

Adam

Reply to
Adam Schwartz

Everyone will have their own opinion, of course. Some will type, some won't, but since I can type, here's mine:

$2400 is a pretty cheap policy if anything halfway serious goes wrong. That said, you'll likely not have anything go wrong in four years. How much driving will you do? 44k miles should've worked out any kinks it may've had. How was it cared for? Records? Inspection says, "What?" All of this should be considered in your decision.

______________THE_BOTTOM_LINE____________________

If you buy it, nothing will happen. If you don't, it may happen that you wish you did. That's the way these things go, eh?

I'm really not sure that I was much help...

Ah, well. That sometimes happens, too. Inform us of what choice you make.

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator

We've put 19,500 miles on our 2002 Coupe since new. The 996 as a model has been largely trouble free - probably the most common problem with the model as a whole has been a tendency for the rear main seal to leak. Ours had a two or three drop per week leak that was fixed by installation of a redesigned RMS. Otherwise, the car has been perfect.

The C4 is obviously a more complex machine and the price of your extended warranty doesn't seem too bad, particularly if something fairly significant comes up. Dealer labor rates alone can run $75 and up.....

You might also try rennlist.com - they have a 996 specific forum and also specialized forums that can be good sources of information.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

I'd make absolutely sure that the warranty covers you no matter where you take the car...if you happen to be out of town. Also...who backs up the warranty if the dealer changes hands, etc. But...the price is reasonable if anything serious happens. If you get good answers to these questions...and it covers "bumper to bumper"...I'd seriously consider it.

Reply to
Weekend Guru

Adam,

As another Millenium owner are you willing to share the current asking price and the location?

BTW, it's a great car!

Thanks,

Tino

Reply to
Tino

Hello All, I havent yet decided if I am going to get the warranty, but I probably will. I guess DS is right... Its cheap insurance for if somthing really bad happened. My shop does $65 an hour, and they would accept payment via this extended warranty. I know at times this car will go to the dealer - but I trust my shop! They rebuild Farrari engines!

The car is in Ohio. 44k Miles, all service records and all service up to date (fresh oil and filter!! WOWOO) Brand new Michelin Pilot Sport Tires. New DVD for my region - for the Nav. Car is perfect in and out other than a few stone chips on the nose. $45k

The dealer is NOT at a porsche dealer, however the car is going to Joseph Northland Porsche tomorrow for a PPI. We shall see...

What do you all think? I know they were a lot more when new....

There is another one on ebay right now. Its not as nice as the one I am getting.. see it here:

Thanks,

Adam

Reply to
Adam Schwartz