Starting up '80 911 after 1.5yr storage

Hi guys, like the topic says, I'll be taking my friend's '80 911 SC out of storage to drive for the summer.

I started her up last week and gingerly took her up and down the block a couple times, (very gingerly). This was after letting her idle for 15 or so until the idle came down a bit. On the 3rd pass she started to sputter and put and the engine finally quit just as I got back to the driveway. I hear this is probably due to the old gas in the tank. She did start back up right away but I figured I'd better consult you folks before I did anything else.

I bought some fuel additive and stablilizer. I know I should have added the stabilizer b4 storage, (HS is 20/20 I know) There's only a little gas left in the tank so can I use additive and some new premium in the tank to flush the system? Or should I just use the additive and run the old gas out first and then add the premium.

I've heard about adding something called methyl hydrate? Opinions?

What other fluid changes and or additives would you folks recommend I do? The storage temp didn't change much and the tires are good to go and the battery was dissconnected for storage.

Thanks guys!

Nikolai Michaleski

If possible I'd just drain the whole tank. As far as Methyl Hydrate it will normally just take the water out of your tank. I've never used it on a 911 but I have used it on other cars to remove any water in the tank. A cap full goes a long way.

Reply to
HotRod

Just to be safe, drop the oil, replace, and check the other fluids, if they're low, top 'em off. Check the air pressure in the tires. I'd put the battery on a charger just to make sure it's up to snuff.

I work in Antarctica roughly 8 months every year. My Porsche 912 goes into storage for months at a time. I've done this one or twice ;)

Reply to
bmwloco