Starting up after 2 yr break

I have a 89 Legacy that I haven't used for 2years. It's been in storage. This is what I have been told to do but I wrote it down quickly...

1 - Remove plugs & squirt oil into each cylinder. QUESTION(Are we talking regular oil or WD40?)

2 - remove coil lead from distributer & connect to metal part of engine.

3 - Turn engine over 3-4 times for 2-3 seconds

4 - Then turn over for 10 secs three times - wait 1 minute between tries

- should see oil pressure rise on gauge during this phase.

5 - Connect up plug and coil leads and start up. Should smoke for 10mins. QUESTION(does that mean the sparkplugs have been out for all this time?)

Does this sound right? Any thought on my nervous questions?

Thanks T.

Reply to
Tana

I was told the initial turnover should be by hand.

And watch you don't hydrolock that engine (say bye bye to it if you do).

Reply to
Bob H

Sounds good to me. Use motor oil and about 10 cc per cylinder. Leave plugs out during cranking.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thanks Edward, appreciate your help. Cheers Tana

Reply to
Tana

I believe the main thing you want to do is remove power from the injectors... if your car is EFI... or basically cut fuel in some way. Ignition doesn't matter too much, no fuel = no fire, and no fuel = no possibility of flooding the engine.

Use regular oil, just a little bit of it though.

Here is a thread with a bunch of relevant > I have a 89 Legacy that I haven't used for 2years.

Reply to
Dmitriy

Sorry another question. Would 10cc be equivalent to about a teaspoon (5mls) Thanks, Tana.

Reply to
Tana

No injectors on this model.

Thanks for the articles, they were really helpful

- the turkey baster it is. Edward suggested 10ccs of oil which I'm guessing is about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon?

Many thanks, Tana

Reply to
Tana

10cc is two teaspoons.
Reply to
Adam Helberg

Yes: that is about the amount I'd use. I also would try to squirt it in.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thank you, Tana

Reply to
Tana

The Turkey baster was sounding like a good option. Cheers, Tana

Reply to
Tana

WELL: IS IT RUNNING OR NOT?

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I fly to NZ on Thursday and the proceedings are penciled in Friday morning. I'll let you know though. Cheers T.

Reply to
Tana

You should not ground the coil lead, put it close to a metal part, but do not short circuit it.

You may need to replace the fuel in the tank, depending on humidity, how full the tank is etc.

I would replace the oil and filter. Then after spraying the cylinders with oil, crank the engine without the sparkplugs.

Good luck

Tana wrote:

Reply to
AS

Likely the pressure in the rails has dissipated - expect longer cranking to pressurize the fuel system. Probably not much depending on how long you wait between turning it on and cranking I guess.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan