Electric AC Compressor in Dixie

We had one of those close mornings when the humidity is nearly 100% but too warm for fog. Driving my wife's 2010 Prius, I closed the vents and windows and used the air conditioner to take out the damp but I had to stop at a busy intersection. As I came to a stop, the engine shutoff yet the AC remained cool because the compressor is not engine driven.

Unlike engine driven compressors, there are no seals, electric clutches, or belts. Instead of designing for the wide range of engine speeds, 800-6,000 rpm, the Prius electric compressor is optimized and draws on the same technology as refrigerators and home air conditioners which have become exceptionally efficient. By eliminating parts and seals, the Prius compressor sets a high bar improving reliability and efficiency. So the light changed and everyone moved out yet the Prius engine was not burdened by electric compressor load as the traction battery provided power.

In contrast, today's gassers and diesels have belts, electric clutches, and seals for their mechanically driven compressors. This robs power directly from the engine and limits where the compressor can be located leading to a cluttered engine compartment. In contrast, the Prius regenerative braking stored the power that ran the air conditioner compressor and fan when the car slowed and stopped with the engine off. But the Prius extends the options back into the house.

I saw a nice room air conditioner at Home Depot, 850W for 7,000 BTU, well within the range of my 1kW inverter. I still have to test the unit but it looks to be substantially more efficient than our 5,000 BTU window AC and perfect for Prius power during an outage. So we'll be cooler and save electric bills this summer.

Compared to gassers and diesels, the Prius air conditioning is exceptionally efficient and reliable. Unlike gassers and diesels, Prius integration with the house extends efficiency and saving other household bills. Once again, the Prius is going where gassers and diesels can not follow.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
bwilson4web

No seals? Really?

Is that like "the Prius is superior because it has a catalytic converter, which means it doesn't produce carbon monoxide"?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Hey, look everyone--techno-ignorant Bob strikes again, then again pointedly ignores the actual questions when he's called out on his ignorance.

Tell us again how the Prius A/C compressor has no seals. We LOVE a good sea story.

The more you talk, the more your complete and utter ignorance shows.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

And the bicker fest just keeps on keeping on I see....

He meant no double lip or other type mechanical shaft seal, I hope, of course it still has the gaskets and O-rings which are... gasp... seals.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

Wait a minute--are you saying that Bob would TWIST THE FACTS and say things that aren't true, to try to make people think the world isn't what the world actually is?

Within one week's time, we hear Bob tell us:

  • "the Prius is superior because it has a catalytic converter, which means it doesn't produce carbon monoxide"
  • "the Prius is superior because its air conditioning compressor has no seals"

One has to imagine this is how Bob goes through his life, spouting things are simply aren't true--we call that "lying"--in order to convince people that things are different than they actually are. For some reason, that pleases Bob.

It sounds like Bob needs to lie to the world in order to feel good about his automotive purchases. That he needs the world to validate his automotive purchases, is his problem. That he out and out lies, is important for the world to know.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

no, you were quite clear: "it has no seals". That's pretty definite for a man who spends his life measuring the performance of his Prius driving down his neighborhood street.

You also said "it doesn't produce CO", which is another definitive statement.

You have a habit of making clearly definitive statements out of ignorance, but then when called on them you backtrack with "well, you know what I meant". No, Bob, we don't know what you meant. You made clear and definitive statements, and you showed your ignorance.

And your backtracking reveals even more about who you are--or rather, aren't.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

you seem to be saying, quite clearly and definitively, that the A/C coolant mixes with the engine coolant.

"There isn't a separate set of condensor coils" means exactly what, Bob?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

So the Prius A/C compressor has no seals? At all.

Riiiiiight.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

You keep calling non-Prius cars "gassers". What does that mean, exactly?

You DO realize, don't you, that the Prius uses gasoline as its sole source of energy?

The Prius is a "gasser" every bit as much as any other "gasser" you try to call names on.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

???

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

No answer to that one, Bob?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Ah, your answer is that you fantasize about sexual relations with other men.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty