injector failure.....

Hi!, I have this week had a #4 injector failure in my 2004 Prius. The dealer said it was due to a seam in the windshield deck gasket dripping water onto the injector. Has anybody else had this problem? Should it be covered by my warranty? My car has 52K miles.

Thanks, Carl

Reply to
Carl Powell

Check to see that you had the LSC 40E "Engine Compartment Seal" campaign done on your US 2004. This limited service campaign for the

2004 was to add a bit of weatherstripping under the hood near the windshield, to prevent water from getting into places in the engine compartment that water shouldn't be getting into... Repair is free, no mileage limitation, but must be done prior to July 31, 2007.

Also, have you had the SSC 50P campaign done? Depending on your VIN, it's either only an ECU firmware upgrade, or it may also put a dielectric grease onto a wire to prevent water from causing problems. This was considered a safety recall, so again free repair, but no limitation on time.

Finally, you've been using the correct grade of gasoline, right? Too high octane gasoline is known to cause check engine lights for a cylinder misfire.

Reply to
mrv

[...]

Hi!, Ohh....! Thanks, I'll have to check on that one (LSC 40E). I'm the one who usually takes my wife's car in and picks it up. I don't remember seeing that anywhere in the routine stuff the dealer has done. We did get the firmware update done when we got the card in the mail. We always run regular gas. Premium in this area is +$.20 to +$.45 a gallon depending on where you buy it and on what day of the week.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Powell