Prius Trailer Hitch?

Does Toyota make a factory hitch for the Prius?

I'm not going to pull a houseboat here, I just need a Class I to pull my Motorcycle to the track once or twice a year. The trailer breaks down and only weighs 100 or so lbs, and the bike is about 400. I also only need to pull it about 20 miles.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

No, no factory hitch -- at least not for our 2006 Prius; although we have found hitches on-line and supposedly easy to install. But reading the Owner's Manual suggests that the Prius is not designed for any kind of trailer pulling or even a hitch type bike rack, which is what we wanted to add.

I'm not clear on whether or not the warranty or service agreement would be affected if a hitch is installed. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

Only Toyota in the Netherlands offers a tow hitch, but that is for a bike rack...

The Prius is not rated for towing (see your owner's manual). Doing so may void your warranty.

But that hasn't stopped some people from towing light loads at low speeds for short distances. Know your weights, and monitor the hybrid system for overheating and brake issues.

Check out

mrv