1985 900s r.i.p.

my 1985 Saab 900s during the winter was making a loud squeal from one of the fan belts. I tried spraying with belt ease and problem did not go away. also the breaks were grinding. I parked it for awhile and drove our mini-van. finally I had my local Saab guy look at it. $800.00 usd to get brakes working proper. (calipers replaced) and another $800.00 to get rid of the squeal. I sort of lost interest when he was describing what needed to be done to fix the squeal. something about replacing pulleys oil leaks ect...

so that day after work I was heading to the Saab shop to take Sally home. I was trying to convince myself it was o.k. to just go ahead and drive the mini-van. (which also has some mechanical issues) and then Screech, Bang, errrrh, crunch! I was now 3rd in a 3 car accident.

Insurance totaled my 1998 mini-van. It still drives and a bought it back. I figured that it would be cheaper then renting a car while I decide on a replacement. Insurance paid me more then I thought the van was worth. And they paid very fast. am now looking for a used car within insurance check price range.

problem is I can't find a car that as unique as Sally. The cars produced now, to me all look the same. have been looking at early 1990's Buicks or new yorkers. my insurance check would cover the cost of these vehicles. I don't want to make car payments.

right now my Saab 900s non-turbo is sitting in my garage. I have not decided what to do with her yet. it has been a wonderful car for the 3+ years I have owned it. But I can't see putting $1600.00 in repairs to this car. I have put a lot of money into it for other repairs and did not regret it, but the time has come.

Rod

Reply to
Rod
1600$!! you're joking right? Could fix it yourself for a fraction....very simple job.

think that garage saw you coming.....no wonder saabs get such a rep....

Reply to
john

I paid =A365gbp each plus =A330 each core charge for the front calipers. I= =20 paid the core charge and kept the old ones and rebuilt them. Pads were=20 pennies and discs not much more.

Hardest job was setting the front parking brake.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

no joking. I was going to take it to a discount brake place. But I figured with the squeeling coming from fan belt (very bad during cold winter months) that they wouldn't have parts to fix it anyway.

Reply to
Rod