Clutch Release Bearing c900

I have a 1985 UK spec Saab 900 and the clutch will no longer disengage.

The last couple of days there had been a squealing noise when the clutch pedal was depressed - I'd thought at the time it was a familiar noise (I had an old Morris Minor that lunched its release bearing) - but now the pedal goes to the floor with no real effect.

I need to examine the release bearing - which in itself isn't a big problem - but how to compress the plates without a working clutch?

Any experiences of similar faults?

Reply to
sweller

sweller ("sweller" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There's a whole bunch of threads on SaabCentral which deal with that - basically, the pressure plate can be compressed by levering, then held back with something like an old HT lead between the leaves of the diaphragm and the cover. There's official tools, but it can be bodged around easy enough, it seems.

Reply to
Adrian

You need to check the hydraulics first. Bleed the clutch line. Is the clutch master cylinder good. Is the slave good? I inserted an old fan belt and levered the clutch plate. Not hard to do. Getting the small shaft out is a real bitch though. You may need an impact hammer on the sucker.

Reply to
darthpup

I usually screw a bolt into the end of the shaft and use a claw hammer to lever it out

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith