i have a bmw question-can anyone help?

i can't seem to find a bmw version of saab.net.

does anyone know if one exists?

i'm trying to research a used car. the owner has provided me the vin number so i'm seeking the service records.

is there a site where i can enter the vin and see the records?

will a dealership (bmw or any dealership) look up the info as a "courtsey service"?

any and all thoughts would be helpful

thanks in advance

rob snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
RobFilms

Try the alt.autos.bmw newsgroup. I'm sure there are a lot around.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

thanks for the suggestion

i hadn't realized there was a dedicated site

silly me

be well

rob

Reply to
RobFilms

Try entering last seven digits into

and you will find some informationabout the BMW. Note that it is purely BMW specific. You can find forexample, original engine code, transmission, manufacturing date etc. Thereis no Web-service where you could get service records, though. However, Ifound local BMW dealer very helpful whne I was buying my BMW. Is there anything similar than this VIN site for Saab? I'm new with Saab, just bought my first one yesterday, and would like to find some information.

- Juha -

Reply to
Juha

If you go to your local dealer armed with a VIN number he can give you a printed record of work done at any Saab dealer. But thats about it I think.

Reply to
Adrian England

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.vaisala.com, Juha at jmnyman snipped-for-privacy@kuumamaili.com wrote on 11/12/2003 19:48:

Juha,

Welcome. What did you buy?

- if you've an older one, you'llfind out all about it here. Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Ok, I have a service booklet, and also service records. I'm looking for engine code, body type and all these codes that cars have, which identify what you are talking about. For example, my BMW is E46 body style and has M52TU engine. I'd love to have similar ID info about my saab.

- Juha -

Reply to
Juha

Thanks. I bought light green metallic '99 Saab 9-3, 4dr hatchback. 2.0liter turbo, 185hp. Manual transmission.

Couldn't find it there. My VIN starts with YS3DD... and that was not listed.

- Juha -

Reply to
Juha

Paul Halliday ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Interesting - sort of all fits together for Sven, the '88 2-dr 900i 5-spd we've got, except for the model year digit - "0" when it should apparently be yet another J.

Reply to
Adrian

in article Xns944EE078DCC4Fadrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4, Adrian at snipped-for-privacy@achapman.freeisp.co.uk wrote on 11/12/2003 22:04:

'88 & '89 seemed to be a particularly problematic year for the Saab VIN. I've owned two from this era and neither adhered to this VIN structure. I gather the last of the 8 valvers in '89 were VINned out as a 900i. Who knows?

The '87 - '90 period had probably the largest spread of C900s worldwide and so many permutations and convolutions. Is Sven an 8V or 16V? Why should I cheer for you and not the Lunar Trolls? :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.vaisala.com, Juha at jmnyman snipped-for-privacy@kuumamaili.com wrote on 11/12/2003 21:47:

Nice. Is it your first Saab? The 2.0L turbo block is what Saab do best :) I'm guessing, but are you a Finlander? No reason for me asking other than curiosity.

Yeah, yours is too new. Take Adrian England's advice and ask your nearest Saab dealer to supply a work schedule. You could try one of the CarFax type services to check other non-dealer history. In the UK, we have recovery agencies, or "motoring organisations", like the AA or RAC who will look into car histories for their members. Is there something like that in your part of the world?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Paul Halliday ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

8v.

Because I'm here, and they're not?

Reply to
Adrian

in article Xns944FEB4791C4Fadrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4, Adrian at snipped-for-privacy@achapman.freeisp.co.uk wrote on 12/12/2003 23:07:

Yay!

I'm sold :) Best of luck with it.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Paul Halliday ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Bit more "knife'n'fork" fixable than a 16v..?

Ta! Don't forget the donation to the charities we're supporting with this trip - for non-UK'ers, PayPal via the website (see sig), for UK'ers, drop me an email to dakar - at - chapmanconsult dot co dot uk, and I'll give you an address for a cheque.

All donations are going 100% to the two MS therapy centres, and they

*really* benefit from *every* penny they get.

We leave on Thursday. Yes, I am starting to get a little panicky. Keep up with how we're doing at

- group 1, team 102, Desert Vikings

- or via our website,

Adrian