Question about B motor timing chain

I'm not a Saab owner, let me get that out first. I'm working on a project and an trying to find out what version/years/models of the 99 and 900 B motor got a double row timing chain. From what I've been able to tell, some got one, some got the other, but I haven't been able to determine the model differences. Are the timing chain sets as a whole setup interchangeable in any way? If not, is the timing cover different between the two? Are they the same length?

Reply to
carl mciver

The H motor ('81>) had single chain, but every B motor I've seen was double row including a '75 couple of '77's and an '81.

The early dolly 1850 motors were single row bicycle chains ;-)

Reply to
Chris

Lovely! The 1850 was Triumph's design all together, complete with problems known to TR7 owners as well. I have been lead to believe that the blocks are the same, so can the double roller be used or retrofitted onto the early motor? Thanks!

| > chain sets as a whole setup interchangeable in any way? If not, is the | > timing cover different between the two? Are they the same length? | >

| | The H motor ('81>) had single chain, but every B motor I've seen was double | row including a '75 couple of '77's and an '81. | | The early dolly 1850 motors were single row bicycle chains ;-)

Reply to
carl mciver

The engine was a Ricardo design bought by both companies when they found they had asked for similar engines!

1.7L and 1.85L had a single chain 2.0L B20 had a duplex 2.0L H20 had a single

The blocks are very different. Saab got rid of a lot of the problems of the old block by redesigning it, such as the angled head bolts, and the non-metric bolts which hold the gearbox on down one side! The guides are different, ie different bolt holes and the tensioner has a different part number. So I would doubt it.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith