Saab 9000 Carlsson

I have just bought a 1993 9000CS Carlsson (at least thats what the badge on the car says, the registration document does not mention the Carlsson bit at all).

I have noticed that the turbo boost pressure goes completely off the scale of the boost pressure guage if you plant your right foot firmly in any gear. I have also noticed that a section of metal tubing has been inserted into one of the tubes running from the turbo to the dump valve and a small hole (1mm - 2mm) has been drilled in this piece of metal tubing. I suspect this is related to the behavior of the turbo and I wonder if it is a "boy racer" modification o stop the waste gate valve or dump valve from performing its normal function and thereby keep the turbo blowing even when the boost pressure is higher than Saabs designed it to be. Anyone know anything about this one?

Cheers

Paul BJ

Reply to
Paul BJ

Am I an anorak or what? 9000 CS Carlsson was MY 1989-1992.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

in article 4144adcf$0$322$ snipped-for-privacy@news.skynet.be, Paul BJ at snipped-for-privacy@spamlessbrownjohn.co.uk wrote on 12/09/2004 21:15:

The Carlsson bit will be self-evident. Do you have Carlsson logos on the rear sides and boot? Red stripe down the side of the car? The 9K Carly is quite a babe :)

The biro pen in the wastegate pipe with drilled holes trick is nasty. Remove it. Off the scale means your car is boosting well beyond the limits of the internal computer (APC). Your engine will be knocking. Okay, it's fun but if you want the car to last (or avoid expensive gearbox rebuilds), get rid of that metal tube.

If you're interesting in attaching a knock sensor LED to your car, so you can see if it's knocking please take a look at

-it's a superb resource for understanding the SAAB APC system. The site alsodeals with how to "mod" your turbo/knock computer to get better (and safe)performance, without bypassing SAAB's on-board turbo controller. If you dodecide to bypass the APC system (using a proper MBC, rather than a cheaphack), the knock LED will alert you to fuelling and charge cooling problemsvery quickly.

is also a good resource, run by IIUC a chap calledBill Jones who owns a *very* fast 9000 Aero - 5.5 second 0-60!!! Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

OK

As a temporary measure I have just wrapped the offending piece of tubing in about 10 layers of insulating tape. A test drive shows that the turbo boost is now well within limits an fact it doesn't even make it into the orange section. Performance is massively impacted; it is not even as vaguely as fast as my 1991 9000S 2.3 FPT, it performs more like an LPT, but I would rather have that than a dead engine. I believe there is an adjustment on the waste gate actuator arm that can increase the boost pressure (?).

Logos....I have one Carlsson logo on the rear of the car, nothing on the sides or the front but I do have a logo embeded in the steering wheel that says Carlsson. There is no body stripe. It lacks the all round body skirt that the my previous Carlsson sported and it also lacks the rock hard suspension that the other Carlsson had. It does however have the wing style spoiler on the boot lid. Is this a Carlsson or a standard CS that has been "re-badged" and seemingly badly tweaked.

Cheers

Paul BJ

Reply to
Paul BJ

This is a trionic car, no? '93 was a switchover year. Regardless, do the standard BPC valve check (disconnect for wildly uncontrolled boost) If so, replace BPC valve. There are other things, but this is common.

KeithG

Paul BJ wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

I did find this site very interesting and I do plan to read more. I am trying to fix the APC right now on my 86 900 Turbo (not Aero or SPG).

I could not find the LED on the knock detector thing and I am very interested.

Please give more specific info,

Thanks,

Charles.

Reply to
Charles

In article , snipped-for-privacy@spamlessbrownjohn.co.uk spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Sounds like you may now be on base boost only then, or even less.

Sounds like the pipe was a bodge.

Is there a small broken section on the 9000 boost gauge, like there is on the 900, just before the orange section? That equates to atmospheric pressure (when it goes past that, the turbo is pushing harder than atmosperic). If it goes into the orange it is making some boost. If it doesn't go beyond the broken section, and into the orange, then it sounds like the wastegate may be jammed open, or even disconnected (sometimes if the clip holding the wastegate actuator rod to the internal wastegate corrodes or has been pulled off, the rod will fall off the spindle, and the gate will flap open at atmospheric pressure, because nothing holds it shut). That sounds like what you are suffering from, even if that isn't the actual problem.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

in article - snipped-for-privacy@wispertel.com, Charles at snipped-for-privacy@interpex.com wrote on 13/09/2004 03:41:

You need to connect an LED to pin 19 and to a 12V source. Pin 19 goes to ground when the knock sensor sees knock. The LED can be mounted on your dash.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Just talking general principles here: ensure there is a resistor (or some device) to limit the current drawn by the LED. Putting the full 12v across it could prove lively, for a short time. If that pin 19 is limited to a current suited to small LEDs (varies with the type), okay. And, of course, get LED polarity right.

(Did I miss something? Oh yes, wash your hands afterwards. )

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

BINGO! The waste gate is jammed open. Overboost like this will blow the engine.

Mark of ScandiaTek

Reply to
Mark Kline

"Mark Kline" skrev i en meddelelse news:dIC6d.1824$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net...

No it won't.....

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Hi

I am the guy with car....is this mod bad...very bad or really bad.

I closed off the hole in the tube with insulating tape and now I being overtaken by old men on bicycles....turbo boost guage barely moves and performance is a joke!

What to do now?

Cheers

Reply to
Paul BJ