Returning after 30 years....

Folks:

Does aas have a FAQ or something similar where I can get info on common "issues" with circa 1997 SAAB 900s? 30 years after trading off my 99E (with free wheeling!), I'm returning to the SAAB ranks next spring with a 97 900 Turbo SE Coupe (55K, my sister's car, 100% dealer maintained). She *thinks* it may be due for a timing belt change, and a couple of other little things. Looking to find out what to expect once it arrives and I start wrenching on it.

TIA.

Neil O'C Sun Prairie, WI

Reply to
Neil O'C

Hi

Others can put me right on this ... the only engine with a belt was the

2.5 v6, and that did not have a turbo. If your engine is a 4 cylinder don't worry about a belt.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

I'm not completely convinced about that. Well I know that the Saab engine in my 9k has timing chain. However, the new 9-3SS have Saab modified Vauxhall engines, there is even a NA base model which has a straight Vauxhall engine. I would have to open the bonnet or something to put my mind at rest.

Reply to
Johannes

Not sure about the new 9-3SS, but the 1997 900 Turbo being discussed has a genuine Saab engine with timing chain.

_________________________________________________________________ Messages sent to the address in the header will be ignored. Personal replies should be directed to user k.l.bailey at the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.

Reply to
klbailey_usenet

Yes, I believe so since it's the same engine block as in my 9k. But the 9-3SS has a completely new engine.

Reply to
Johannes

The new 93 with the Z18XE and Z19DT engine both have a timing belt, There is nothing like progress.......... Regards, Tom, Saabtech.

Reply to
saabtech

You mean: progress for the beancounters...

Reply to
Johannes

Thankfully at the same time BMW have moved away from belts to chains...

Reply to
Grunff

Sorry my previous post was meant to have a hint of sarcasm............ Regards, Tom, Saabtech.

Reply to
saabtech

...interesting about BMW. Any idea which BMW models have/had belts as opposed to chains? (though maybe I should look on one the BMW newsgroups).

Reply to
Pidgeonpost

Yes, that was how I read it.

Reply to
Johannes

All of the M10 2V/cylinder 4s have chains (and always have), the

2v/cylinder baby sixes (M20) have belts and are also interference engines.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Tom,

I would respectfully submit that your sentence could be improved by replacing "There" with "This".

Best regards, Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The only ones that I am aware of were the small (2.5 and 2.7 liter) inline 6 cylinder engines from the mid '80s up until ~ 1991. This engine was designated as the "M20" engine in BMW parlance. These were found in the 325i, 325e, 525i and 525e model cars. No 4 cyl, 8 cyl or big 6 cylinder engines ever had timing belts. All chains.

That said, those same engines (the ones with the belts) are among the most long lived and reliable engines ever produced. It is not at all unusual to see one with 250-350 k miles on it and no major rebuild. It was merely a matter of changing the belt and tensioner every 50k miles religiously.

The belt change on that car was about a 45 minute job in the hands of an experienced wrench. The first and only one that I did took me about 1

1/2 hours total and I was doing a lot of instruction manual consultation and fumbling around.
Reply to
Malt_Hound

I thought the M40 1.8 and M43 1.6 also had belts?

I have a real soft spot for my e30 325i - that engine is sheer poetry. The car is getting old and rusty now, which is a shame, but I love driving it.

Reply to
Grunff

I think you will find quite a few changes from your 99, most not for the better :-( You will find your wrenches will be of little use fixing the GM electrical bells and whistles that will probably give most of the problems. Look out for the ignition switch failure - which could leave you without any electrical power (no lights- no engine - no power brakes

- no power steering) suddenly on the highway at night. This happened to me with a GM900. Easily test however, start the car and wiggle the switch - if it dies, you have identified one issue. Power seat relays tend to loosen and fall out - easily replaced but a pain. Vent control motor can fail - sympton is you cannot control air flow, but this could also be the control panel - neither is inexpensive. I am sure you are aware of the DI cassette failures and wide variety of symptoms. The same issues plague new GM cars. I test drove a brand new H3 and the speedometer did not work.

My GM900 was towed to the sh> Folks:

Reply to
ma_twain