rolling backwards braking oddity...04 9-3

I have a 2004 9-3 Aero. I've noticed an odd behaviour. It seems to only happen when rolling backwards down an incline. When applying the brakes during the roll, the car will jerk awkwardly (albeit intermittently).

I thankfully don't do this often, but I have had to do it under certain circumstances and it's very bizarre. Anyone else experience this? I can imagine someone experiencing this who parks regularly on a hill or has an inclined driveway.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Hi,

As a complete guess, the brake pads are not evenly worn (say a bit more worn at the top of the pad than the bottom of the pad and/or the pads have a bit of play in the calipers and when the move into position (whilst reversing) they grip suddenly.

Common problems with C900s which had those :-) brakes.

Unless the problem goes away by replacing the pads with new (fuller) pads I would check it out further.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

My 1995 900S has done this since new, and it definitely feels as if it's tied in to the ABS system. The only time I notice it is when backing down a fairly steep incline at a friend's house while keeping steady pressure on the brakes to slow the vehicle. I can also state the the car is in neutral (5-speed stick) while this occurring, as this hill is sufficently steep that there is no real need to engage reverse. It feels as if the brakes release momentarily and then reapply. I've always felt that it could be considered a safety issue and I figured that sooner or later a service bulletin or recall would result. Anyone else experience this?

Jim

Reply to
Jim M

Which brakes on the C900 are you referring to? I have drive C900s models from 1985(parking brake on front wheel) to 1993 and I have not experienced this braking situation. This includes non-ABS and ABS brake systems.

Reply to
ma_twain

in article snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, ma_twain at ma snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on

31/08/2005 00:53:

Those rear Girlings? I've had a little shudder on the rear wheels when just rolling backwards ... I didn't put "two and two together" when Tex asked about his problem. In my case it turned out to be the inner pad on the LHS was totally worn.

Paul

Vart tog vägen vägen? SAAB : Nothing on earth comes close

Reply to
Paul Halliday