Strange PS (C900) sound/action

I have a 1985 900 with a possible power steering problem. When I first drive it from a cool start, I get a squeaking sound from the steering column area when I make a major turn. This goes away after a couple of blocks and all is normal. If it's colder, I don't seem to get much steering boost at all, but everything is normal after a couple of blocks.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Yes. Google for "power steering" "morning sickness", GM, and Saab.

Eventually it'll get bad enough that you want to do something about it, and that'll be replacing the steering rack with a rebuilt one. It's kind of a pain in the ass on a 900 (been there, done that), but the rack is a very common GM part. (yes, even on a c900). From what I understand, the rebuilt racks incorporate a fix to the design that was absent from the factory-shipped units, something about the spool valve and a sleeve as I recall.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yep, the seals wore away the aluminium, resulting in nice bits of metal floating around and a leaking rac too...

I actually stuck engine oil in my beater 900 rack - worked perfectly!

All the '80's GM A bodies have the same problem...

Reply to
chris