Focus Strange Sound

Hi. I was wondering as to whether anyone on this NG could help in identifying a noise that has developed on my 99 Focus Ghia. The noise is a single knock sound when taking a left hand corner and appears to come from the front offside. This has become more prevalent over the last few weeks and sometimes can be heard when pulling away from the kerbside. Has anyone else experienced this noise or know its likely cause. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Len.

Reply to
Weatherman

In message , Weatherman writes

It sounds like the offside outer universal joint has gone. What mileage has your car done?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Reply to
Weatherman

"Weatherman" wrote

Sounds like a front universal or CV joint to me. A quick inspection on a hoist will determine that. Not cheap but not hugely expensive either. If it's rapidly getting worse as you say it will demand replacement soon (otherwise it will become deafening and eventually leave you stranded).

Reply to
Dave Gower

In message , Weatherman writes

That is a common problem and I've changed both of mine but they will knock constantly over uneven surfaces at low speed. They won't knock just when turning in one direction. The nearside one will usually fail first.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Reply to
Weatherman

Reply to
Weatherman

If it was sway bar link you would hear it on bumps whether turning or straight on. Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

"Paul Giverin" skrev i meddelandet news:40U4JQAHeAFAFwWA@10.0.0.3...

A bad CV joint would not produce a single knock, but a series of knocks. A wheel bearing with too much play could give single knocks. And check the wheel bolts while you're at it. /per

Reply to
per