synthetic oil

hey my 1990 9000 cd 2.0 turbo(104000 mil) is do for an oil change i think all its life its hade regular oil in it but this time i want to put synthetic oil in it.is this going to cause any problems with a car thats had reg oil all its life? or will i just get all the good stuff of synthetic oil?

i here that mobil 1 synthetic is one of the best out there should i use this in my car?

my car is a 5spd and i also want to change the tranny oil to synthetic to but i got no dran plug?

Reply to
es

By all means switch engine oil to synthetic and prolong the change interval to at least 10k miles. But on the transmission oil, stay with dino. SAAB specifically says not to use synthetic oil on manual transmissions until later model years. How late, I forgot. But my two '94's and '95 9k stll only use dino oil in the 5 speed transmission.

Reply to
yaofeng

if i dont prolong the change interval will that hert it or would it make it better?

Reply to
es

It will hurt your pocket book for one. Synthetic oil is three to four times as expensive as regular motor oil. I used to change oil every 5k miles using regular motor oil. Now I do 10k. You can just feel the difference in engine lubrication, especially in the dead of winter morning start-up.

People claim the detergent effect of syntheitcs make the engine more susceptible to leaks. I haven't seen it on mine.

On your 91 not having a transmission oil drain plug. I know some people tap a hole to make one.

Reply to
yaofeng

I'm running synthetic MTF (BG Synchroshift) in my 1992 c900. Works well for me, and is definitely an improvement over traditional oil in cold weather. You have to open the differential to drain the oil, at least in my car.

John

Reply to
John B

I think mobil 1 is over the top and is only really needed for extreme (racing) driving conditions. I use Halford's fully synt 5W40 oil, they often have BOGOF offers near bank holidays to tempt DIY'ers into the shop.

Reply to
Johannes

My impression is that synthetic engine oil is a bit too slick for use in a manual transmission. That's why there are synthetic MTFs (Synchroshift, Redline, etc) available.

John

Reply to
John B

My reply wasn't intended for the transmission oil.

Reply to
Johannes

I don't own any 9000's but in my C900's I'm now using Shell Helix Ultra when I replace the engine oil. That's been recommended by a lot of people locally who are Saab owners. I've only had it in for a short time in one of the cars so can't really tell you much about quantitative performance changes (if any) yet. 8-)

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

you will need to suck the present trans oil out thru the side cover or remove one of the covers from under the car.

I don't reckon Mobil 1 to be any better than Castrol's Syntec. I alternate depending on what's on sale.

Synthetics tend to leak more, so keep a close eye > hey my 1990 9000 cd 2.0 turbo(104000 mil) is do for an oil change i

Reply to
Mac Townsend

well as of right now the engine is leaking oil a little bit where the head gasket is but the car is running really nice so i guess i have to stick with reg oil.

and if that is the case what is the best reg oil out there????

and is there something i can put in the oil to stop that small leak? like bars leaks????

Reply to
es

"Johannes" skrev i en meddelelse news:42B858D3.629F6F27@spam_revenge6402sizefitter.com...

None the less - Saab is using Mobil 1 0W-40 as factory-fill on all new Saab's.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

"Mac Townsend" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@news.dslextreme.com...

Or have it sucked out, through the fill-hole. Remember, that if you change to a synthetic gearbox-oil (I can recommend Saab MTF0063), to flush the gearbox with one liter synth first. Drive it quiet for about 8 miles, return and remove the oil, and the put the correct amount of MTF0063 in...

Saab factory-fill is Mobil1 0W-40.

Modern synthetic oils doesn't attack seals. What often happens is that synth oil has cleaning-additives, which will remove deposits in the engine. This will often show bad seals.....

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

"es" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

No. The synth oil is much better for your engine! Get the seal fixed instead. Besides, forget about the higher cost in synth-oils. If you hold the up against the total cost of having a car, the oil is peanuts. I've run all my Saab's (200.000+ miles) on fully-synth Mobil1. Never had a problem. And I've always changed the oil every 7,000 - 9,000 miles.

NO! Don't use stuff like that, might ruin your engine. Get the seal fixed.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

"Pooh Bear" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com...

EEeehhhhh......no!

None the less, it's a damn good oil, and it'll give a very short cold start. In fact Mobil made at test of it's oil a few years back: Filled a Caddy, with the V8 NorthStar engine with the Mobil1 fully synth. They ran it for

60,000 miles, only changing filters, at the regular intervals. After the 60,000 miles, the oil was still good.

No, but you'll still keep your gearbox for a longer time. Think about the water and stuff, that builds up over the years. I change my gearoil once a years.

Reply to
Henrik B.

I thought they were using "Saab Genuine Oil", whatever that is.

Reply to
Johannes

"Johannes" skrev i en meddelelse news:42B94B3C.B71EEE44@spam_revenge6402sizefitter.com...

Mobil1. ;o)

Reply to
Henrik B.

Hmm. Saab oil comes in special blue cans marked 'Saab Oil'. According to Saab literature: "The only oil that has been tested and approved for use in your Saab engine".

Reply to
Johannes

Why not ?

removing any possible carbon based shit should be good - no ? My local engineer recommends it and I concur. Use flushing additive before oil is drained or run the engine briefly after draining with flushing oil before re-filling.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

"Pooh Bear" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com...

Not neccesary. Modern synthetic oils has cleaning additives, which prevents the build-up of carbon deposits. Any dirt will end up in the filter anyway.

Of course he does - he earns more money. :o)

A waste of money. Lower the oil-change interval if you feel like it, instead.

All my Saabs have more than 150.000 miles on the clock, and if you remove the top lid, the engine is all fine and clean inside.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.