synthetic oil

Prior to model year 94, there isn't even a drain or fill plug on the SAAB 9k 5 speed so changing the transmission fluid is impossible unless one taps a hole in the trans housing. On model year 94 and later, there are three plugs on the 5 spped, fill, level and drain. But SAAB did not recommend a synthetic transmission oil until much later, '97 I believe, And it says to not mix synthetic with regular. One is supposed to flush it with synthetic first if he is to change it out.

There has been documented cases where the owner put in synthetic transmission oil in early model year 9k 5 speed which resulted in the transmission breaking down.

Reply to
yaofeng

There is a transmission oil fill plug in my 1993 9000 CSE. But whether there is a drain plug is an unsolved question. It's definitely pre 1994 since it has a B202 engine.

Reply to
Johannes

But a SAAB, any SAAB, can go well beyond 200k on regular oil too. You just have to change it more often. That's all.

My 94 9kcs was wrecked last December at 176k miles. I had no reason to doubt it won't go 250k and beyond, synthetic or regular. Yes it has been on a diet of Mobile 1 at every 10k miles. But that was switched at 100k.

Reply to
yaofeng

"yaofeng" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

I had the old oil sucked out through the fill-hole. And correct, you'll have to flush the gearbox with 1 litre synth oil first.

I've been driving my '93 9000 CS 2,3 Turbo, 5-speed manual, for one year now (15.000 miles) with the Saab MTF0063 synthetic oil, and besides at better shifting, I haven't experienced any probs. I was recommended by a Saab tech (from the factory) to change to the synth, which I can only recommend.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

well in order to get the seal fixed i need to replace the head gasket which i do not have the money for

i do agree with you about not using stuff like that but i guess i cannot use synthetic till i get the head gasket replaced right?

and if i do have to use reg oil what is the best?

Reply to
es

"es" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Well, a blown headgasket is not good for the engine. Also, it can leave you stranded suddenly. You're sure that it's not just the camshaftcover that is leaking?

Yes, you can use synth oil, won't make a difference. :o)

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Mobil 1 might be classified as synthetic, but it is garbage, compared to others.

It is based on cracked dino oil molecules, so they get to call it synthetic rather than mineral. Real synthetics such a Silkene and millers are listed as high ester, or triple ester and are totally man made, not produced by manipulating mineral oils. It is not too much for a Saab. I think that Saab Turbo oil is actually specially blended Mobil one, for Saab. Halfords full synth may actually be a better oil than Mobil one.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

It is the friction reducers that are the problem I believe. And yes, I used MTF rather than mineral engine oil in my 1984 C900.

You can tell if it is oil or MTF in your box. If you smell it, and it smells of rancid pickled onions, or cat piss, it is MTF.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I'll let you into a clue. Blend Mobil one for Saab and stick it in a Saab bottle, it's Saab oil. When your lord and masters cut corners, stick Castrol Magnatec, or YoMamma smokey burn in the Same Saab oil bottle, it is Saab oil.

I did read on one of the OC magazine, that Saab through GM had done a deal with an oil company I had never heard of, to produce one oil for all Saabs, from the Turbo Diesels, to the LPT, to the HOT AERO models. And it had a longer life cycle. Now what was it about Saabs, Toyotas etc on Synthetic in the states, with longer service interval suffering from sludging.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

The black alloy cover has a seal that seals the cams/valve lifters off from the outside air. that can leak. Sometimes a little tightening can help, but should be more than $100US to have changed by a garage.

the head gasket is much more serious. If that goes, kiss good night to lots of money to change.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

You didn't think that I took Saab's oil blurb at face value, did you?

Reply to
Johannes

Ok but the OP hasn't been using synthetic oil - just standard 'dino' oil.

I've been using synthetic or semi-synth but have no idea what the previous owners used so played safe as I saw it.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Make darn sure you use good quality filters if you stretch the change interval out that far, I've always done 3K for dino oil or 5K for synthetic, past that it's getting pretty dirty looking. 4 quarts of synthetic is dirt cheap compared to the cost of a new turbo.

Reply to
James Sweet

"Sleeker GT Phwoar" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

Not that ester is a good thing in too high quantities in engine-oil. It can cause corrosion on the (iron) engine parts.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

"Pooh Bear" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com...

Start using synth-oil, and keep an eye on the colour of the oil. It's okay for it to turn dark brown, but does it go too black, change oil and filter. This means that the oil is "cleaning" out old deposits.

Reply to
Henrik B.

It's synth in there now.

What you say figures.

Cheers, Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Ah, but I have heard exactly the opposite. Mobil 1 is a true PAO synthetic oil and Castrol is not.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

You are whacked. Mobil 1 is about the best stuff you can get.

I think you are confusing it with Castrol Syntek.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Both Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec are fully synthetic.

Reply to
WitchDr

Do you mean Silkolene ? I found some once in a Halfords actually. Never seen it on a shelf since though. It didn't go into a Saab but that engine certainly sounded nicer afterwards.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear