Alternator Swap Price?

I've got a 1995 SL2. What should I expect to pay for a new alternator to be installed per your experiences? Guestimates welcome, but actual experiences appreciated more of course.

Regards, Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:

- The very best in frustrating, cool games.

4 bedroom house for sale OR 2 bedroom apartment for rent - Northern, NJ - eMail me for details.

Joe Agro

I use Real-Time Labor Guide for all my auto jobs and to replace your altenator I get this price

Altenator price 1 yr warrenty $73.99 Lifetime $99.99(reman) or $129.99(new)

Labor prices Single overhead cam with power steering Low: $72.20 Mid: $79.80 High: $87.40

Duel Overhead cam with power steering Low: $83.60 Mid: $91.20 High: $90.80

Reply to
Joe Biadasz

At the dealer it was close to $200 and then another $100 to install (these are ballpark numbers). The dealer install was attractive to me because the alt came with a 3 year warranty of which I've already used since last year. I've read negative press here in the NG about some rebuilds at the local parts shop like Kragen's, etc.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Hello All, I have a related question, I replaced an alternator on SL1. According to the Chiltons, I moved the power steering pump which was a pain and was to pull the alternator through the space vacated by the PS pump. However once I got the alternator loose, I was able to pull the old alternator out and the new on in from the bottom. Now that makes me wonder why I went through the pain of of moving the PS pump. So I wondering if anyone has done a saturn SL1/2 (my is a 94 BTW) through the bottom w/o PS dislodging the PS pump.

chuck s. :-)

ps: I am not try> At the dealer it was close to $200 and then another $100 to install (these

Reply to
chuck smoko

Sounds like you did go through a lot of unnecessary trouble.....

On my 95 SC2 it can be done completely from the bottom. I would imagine you probably can on your SL1 too.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

I did my 98 SL2 from the bottom without touching the PS pump, too.

Reply to
Ratbert
97 SL2 from the bottom. Both auto trans and manual trans.

(Too many times too!)

It's easy to do it from the bottom.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen