New Speakers for '94 SL2

My kid's stereo speakers sound like crap and I'd like to replace them as a Christmas gift. They look to be standard 5.25" in the trunk. Are the ones in the doors the same? Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated.

d.e.

Reply to
dorkus.erectus

The size is oversize 6.5", front and rear. Buying that size makes the install the easiest. Others can be made to fit, but it takes fabrication time and effort, or extra adaptor plates.

has agood selection of the correct size. Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

I just bought speakers for my nephews 96 SL1 and last yr bought the same for my 94 SL2. If you have a WallyMart or a BrandsMart around you, you can pick up a pair of SonyXplode 6.5 speakers for your rear deck for under $50. They are great speakers and sound fantastic!

If you have the urge for high-end $$$ then crutchfield is your answer or also try

both are good.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Look for the ones that state 6 1/2" GM Oversize, they fit without a fuss, or adapters.

Reply to
Skid

what are the color codes for the rear-deck speaker wires on a SL1? also, what kind of wiring clips does Saturn use to attach the speakers to the wires? I have to do a 96 SL1. Thanks!

marx404

Reply to
marx404

The connectors are proprietary and won't fit on aftermarket speakers. If you don't want to cut the factory connectors, Crutchfield will send you the proper wiring harnesses if you buy speakers from them.

. Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

If you go the Crutchfield route, and there are no oversize 6.5" that you like, they give you adapter plates to use regular 6.5" free of charge with purchase of the speaker.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Lemme retract my suggestion for allowing Brandsmart to install anything. They suck and their salespeople are slime who will overcharge you on installation. If you do buy anything there, take it somewhere else to have it installed, it will be much cheaper and you will be able to deal with more honest people.

Last week, I took my nephew shopping for a new system for his SL1. The salesman gave us a total price for the stereo, speakers and full install. I asked him to confirm that that was the full price to install both speakers and stereo, wires and adapters, EVERYTHING, he looked at me like I was stupid and said yes.

We paid for everything and waited an hour to pick up his car from the installation bay. The stereo was installed but he speakers were still in the box , on the front seat! The installed said that we hadn't been charged for the speaker installation so he didn't put them in. WTF?? The receipt reflected the exact breakdown that the salesman confirmed for a TOTAL install.

So we went back inside to confront the salesman, he told us he thought I was "going to put the speakers in myself" and said that it would be an extra $60. to put them in. No. So I asked for the manager. The same salesman then told him that I "told him that I was going to install the speakers myself". After politely asking the salesman to admit that I asked for the TOTAL price, they flim-flammed me around and I blew up, I don't like being BS'ed or lied about. Sheesh! they even tried to convince me that they had to remove the seats and the rear deck (Id like to see that without a blow torch!) to get to the speakers!

As we were walking away from them, they started to laugh out loud at me, right in fornt of the manager! This is how they treat customers? Ive gotten more respect from a used car lot. Dont buy Brandsmart for car audio!

With Lane being so kind as to send me the wiring schematics, my nephews installed the speakers within 15 minutes. Thanks.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Marx did you try to complain to to the head office of the corp? i too would of raised holy hell. we dont have that chain here in n.c but they sound much like circut city. many yrs ago i was buying 1500.00 worth of stuff for a 91 s-10. well they lost the sell over a 10 dollar adpator. the kid sellin me the stuff said i did NOT know what i needed, well i had taken dash aprt and saw EXCATLY what i needed. well after a few minutes of back and forth, i carried him out to prove he was wrong. then i said a few choice words to him, (he was fresh outta high school) and told him i NEVER be back again, and asked to speak to manager. well told same thing to manager, and the manager tried to keep me there and even offered top of the line stuff to me at same price. i think the difference was like 600 dollars, i told him where he could go too and have NEVER been back. all because of a young kid and a 10 dollar part.

Reply to
Charles H.

When it comes to installation services, I always suggest finding a real audio shop (and not a discount place that sells furniture, appliances, and everything else). It usually costs a few more dollars for labor, but it is worth it if you don't have the knowledge or patience to tackle the job yourself. They're less likely to employ for minimum wage and anyone off the street.

And getting the estimate and cost breakdown in writing first doesn't hurt either.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

Well that was what it was all about. I DID get the price breakdown at Brandsmart from the salesman. Unfortunately, and maybe it's a FL thing, NOBODY at any of the 5 stores would give me anything written down.

The key to being a good salesman or con man (sometimes a very thin line 'tween the two), is to listen to your customer/victims. This guy caught on that I had told him I was comparison shopping for the best price, ergo, he gave me a lower price by not tallying in the cost of speaker installation and lying about it, saying that he was giving me the FULL price for installing BOTH speakers and stereo.

After the fact, what can I do? I sent off a lengthy email to both Corporate and their HR department, naming the bozos involved. I don't expect any reaction, I will be shocked if they do reply with an apology.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

marx,

If it was paid for on your charge card, you can dispute the amount charged by writing the charge card company a letter and deducting the $60 since you installed the speakers yourself.

You may lose the dispute and be forced to pay, but the charge card company will withhold their payment of the transaction and request written documentation from them to do a full claim investigation.

As I said, you may be told to pay the full amount, but the company will be forced to go through the pain and aggravation of dispelling your story and justifying the charge. Making this claim/dispute will also magnify the visibility of the letter you issued to the company separately and support your story.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks to all that replied to my original post. I'm still a bit confused though. Where can I find speakers that state "6.5" GM Oversize"? All of you recommend 6.5" and Crutchfield says 6.75". But the holes in the rear deck are only ~5" and indeed have 5.25" factory speakers installed from the top. I have no idea about the mount openings in the door panels but the grill is less than 6". I know the larger rear ones can be installed from the bottom since there is an indent that will accept them. My daughter's boyfriend will do the install but I want to give him the right stuff to work with.

Please continue to enlighten this idiot poster.

Rick

Reply to
dorkus.erectus