S series horn $$$

FYI, I priced a new horn for my SW1.

Genuine??? Saturn (Fiamm) horn C$ 85. parts only.

They really know how to get my business! NOT!!!! Failure prone horn with stupid also failure prone integral relay. It is the only horn failure I have ever had, and it has failed on BOTH my cars.

Justa rant

Reply to
Private

FYI, before posting, please search this forum, you may just find the solution you are seeking and you may just feel a whole lot better. This exact subject was already discussed last week.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

I was aware of the previous threads, I just obtained the price quote out of curiosity and thought others may be interested. As others have suggested, I will be replacing the $aturn horn with a generic horn (probably used) and a separate relay.

The worst part of the $aturn brand is that while it is owned by GM it is not really part of the standard GM family and does not use the excellent (and inexpensive) GM parts network, and I am unable to buy my $aturn parts from my normal GM parts sources. It just does not make sense that a gas filter for a $aturn is well over $100 when a gas filter for a Corvette is under $10. It will be interesting to see what the price difference will be on the common platform and engines that $aturn will share with real GM brands.

Justa nother rant.

Reply to
Private

One hundred dollars? Maybe you should try an autozone, or parts plus, or advance? That seems a little steep.

Reply to
oh123

Reply to
Buster

Last time I bought one from Napa it was $15 (US). The majority of replacement parts I've found to be in-line with what they run for most other cars.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

$100 for a fuel filter for a Saturn?

Maybe if this was the total price for the part and installing it for you too since it is a pain where they locate it down on the firewall, but certainly not for the part only as you seem to infer. Seriously, if someone actually gave you this estimate for the part only, then avoid doing business there.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

What you just said is more of a statement of fact than a rant. I tried several local parts stores for the Fiamm horn. They all had the

2-pin connector version that doesn't have a built-in relay.

None had the 3-pin version with the built-in electronic relay. Only the Saturn dealer had it and the price was $43.00 US. My 1998 SL-2 is now on its third horn.

An electronic relay is a bad idea given the horn's location and exposure to weather. You can not count on a perfect seal where wires come out. Once water gets in it's dead. Combining it with the horn is even worse: the assembly is bad if either part fails.

Here's the best part: The horn went from 2 to 3 pins and the part number stayed the same. Strange but true.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I replaced mine last year, so far so good. I did notice a difference between the old one and new one. The new one had the relay components "potted" in epoxy. I hope this will be more reliable than the original one.

Reply to
Box134