shifter problem

Daughter's 1996 saturn sc. 150000 miles 5 speed. The shifter was off I worked the shifter for a while and got it to go into reverce and then into low. This is about the fourth time for this problem. There is a clip where the shift cable goes into the tranmission and it keeps losing the clip. Is there something more that holds this thing togather that we are missing? Thanks Ernie

Reply to
ernie

I'm not 100% on this one ernie, but it kinda sounds like the retaining clip for the shifter cable. The shifter cables are notorious for breaking at this point and must be replaced. This can be for one or more reasons including hard shifting or just old age. The cable is designed to break rather than the linkage as a safeguard but as said above can break from old age too.

Reply to
marx404