Shifter Problem

The rubbery knob on my shifter is deteriorating and slitting. Having been given a replacement shifter-leather knob-lever- leather boot (gator?), I am at a loss as to what to do.

I have been told to pull it striaight out, that the entire assemblt is essentially, one piece. However I note on the interior of the shifter shaft that there appear to be necessary connections.

Can anyone shed some light or provide a method. I would be happy--no, delghted, just to replace the deteriorated knob. But again, I was told that this is manufactured as one non-dismantlable piece. well maybe, I can remove the boot But what does that accomplish?

Help, please! My son gave me the replacement as a birthday gift and he was so proud.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

Model/year?

Reply to
Grunff

The OP has emailed me (possibly by accident?) that it's a 92 9k. In which case, the knob just pulls off. You can replace the knob with any replacement that has a recess for the reverse collar. This is of course assuming it's a manual gearbox.

If it's an auto, that's a totally different matter (which I know nothing about, since I've never owned a 9k auto).

Reply to
Grunff

.. And bringing up the rear - there are three small screws (torx I think) on the back of the auto shifter - it should come apart in two pieces like a banana from the top - but don't force it - be careful with the two lock buttons.. Make sure you have emergency brake on as you'll have to pull it into first to get at it..

Reply to
Dexter J