Towing Question - Vue

This is bizarre. I wonder if anybody's done this. I got a letter in the mail the other day from Saturn saying that on my wife's '05 Vue, after flat towing with it for seven hours I have to do this wierd transmission procedure - put it in all gears.

Okay, I can (kind of) understand that. Who knows, maybe with a trailer behind the car, the tranny gets over worked? The bizarre thing is the next sentince where it instructs me to take out the IGN fuse.

Um, if I don't have the IGN fuse, how would I be able to start the car? I've yet to tow with the Vue, but I expect we might someday. I'm just curious how this makes sense.

Reply to
PerfectReign

I am pretty sure they are talking about the Vue being towed behind another vehicle such as a motorhome.

Don Williams a.k.a. librarian

Reply to
cwilliams22

They are referring to towing it "four-down" behind an RV or such. Very commonly done with saturns, but it would appear people are having problems when doing it, thus the form letter. Steve

Reply to
Steve

this is especially in reference to the V6 Honda engines, when flat towing the VUE behind an RV. The lubrication procedure was discovered necessary to keep the tranny lubricated when being pulled on all 4's. The IGN fuse must be pulled prior to towing as to not accrue any mileage and to disable any releveant electrical ignition services that may be harmed by flat towing. Its not as easy as the old procedure of hitch and go as with the old S-series, but nonetheless, the VUE is one of the best for flat towing behind an RV. Saturn has sent this letter to all recent VUE owners.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:28:33 -0500, marx404 took a five-minute break from flipping burgers to boot the etch-a-sketch and scribble out:

Ahh, thank you all.

I wasn't really worried, just a bit confused! Not owning an RV but rather a trailer, I wanted to know.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Ditto on what others said, with the addition that flat towing a car - any car - is basically one of the worst ideas out there, regardless of what the manual says. Use dolly, or disconnect the drive shafts first - transmissions don't like being spun without lubrication.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski