Towing with a VUE

Looking for facts, experience, and opinions on towing with a v-6 FWD VUE. Mgf tow capacity is 3500 lbs , but I would be stretching this to no more than 4000. I guess what I really want to know is will it get a boat back up the average ramp? We'd be using the VUE only for day trips to a place 20 miles away. I'd still use the F-250 for the long trips.

thanks for any input

Steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

Hi, Personally I would not tow anything 500lbs more than the rated capacity of my tow vehicle. Especially with a Vue. If you have an F-250 already. Why would you tow with a 4wd car. When a full size truck is better.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Dougherty

Thanks for the comments. That's what I'm looking for. Although we will not be buying the 4wd model. 'Course if it proves out that I shouldn't tow even short trips with it, I probably wont' buy it at all. I don't really need a yuppie SUV (mall terrain vehicle) nor for that matter does anyone. I'll just buy a car.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Steve, I am sorry I saw FWD and thought four wheel drive. Not front wheel drive. If it is Front Wheel Drive I definitely would not tow with it. Especially up a ramp. Not enough weight over the drive wheels for traction. I have a ?91 4WD S10 blazer that only moves when it snows or tows the boat or camper and twice a month to work just to run it or the occasional furniture move etc? Every other time I drive my ?00 SL1

35-40 MPG versus 15-17 in the blazer I'll take SL1 any time. You are correct most people do not need an SUV all the time.I liked the Mall terrain vehicle line that was funny. Paul

Reply to
Paul Dougherty

I had put a class 1 hitch on a '85 VW GTI and used it to pull a 1500 lb Sea-Doo boat. (if that didn't look funny as the boat was bigger than the car) I had wide high performance tires and it went up the ramp pretty well. OK, so sometimes at low tide, there was a bit of wheel spin from all the algae. Just get a friend to sit on the hood for extra traction. Only needed that very rarely though.

Will be getting a class 1 hidden hitch soon for the LW300 and don't foresee any problems as long as not done on a regular basis. Good idea to change the tranny fluid more often though.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie