Transmission questions. Dont want my mechanic to know how oblivious I am.

Bought a 98 SL2 w/108k. I'm not mechanically inclinded, have been ripped off by a variety of mechanics ( thats a fact, not bitter paranoia or delusions). So, I've been trying to educate myself a wee bit before taking the Saturn into a shop.

Feel like it's having (automatic) transmission issues. It wasnt bad.. hardly noticable, thought maybe I was just expecting the worst, though last night it really acted up.

I was coming off the interstate and I heard a clunk when it downshifted, the rpm's went up after I let off the gas and (i think) applied the brake. It's done the RPM thing twice, but not the clunk.

When parked, foot on brake I can shift from gear to gear without any clunk, noise or jerk. Shifting into drive does however lurch forward a bit. The tranmission fluid has small bubbles in it, I don't think it smells burnt.. but all that stuff smells the same to me, it's got a.. golden amber color. I had planned to have the fluid and filter changed but now wonder if there might be more to it.

Driving it on short trips there are no problems, longer trips it seems a lil delayed in downshift but not bad. Other than the afore mentioned incident it's not been a problem.

So I'd like to know, am I by default looking at needing a new (rebuilt/whatever) transmission. Or: Could old fluid/filter cause these problems? Would it be a waste of time/money to try that at this point? Are there other components within the tranmission (system) I could have someone check? You know like.. valves, gaskets... headlights ;)

Additionally, someone else drove it the other day and said there was a fluid leak, I havent been able to reproduce it, in order to locate it. But I know that could be a number of things. The splatterings were on the passenger side, the inside of the wheel is coated, I jumped to thinking brake fluid but .. they seem fine.

Anyway, any input at all would be really appreciated.

I don't want to take it in, have someone tell me I need a new transmission, engine, radiator and seat covers, and have to take out a

5billion dollar loan for what could just be a filter.
Reply to
fuzzymable

Before you hit the panic button, try a fresh fluid change and a new filter. That year tranny has a spin on filter and it is a pretty sturdy unit too.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

snip

snip

I have little use for auto transmissions but..... IIRC the correct fluid is Dexron 111 which should be red in color.

snip

I agree. Drain fluid into a CLEAN pan, when hot. Allow the drained fluid to cool and settle slowly, pour most of the fluid into another clean container and check both the fluid remaining (and the cut open filter paper element) with a magnet and examine for particles. A coffee filter will help to check the old fluid.. I would also cut the old filter apart (with a cutter NOT a grinder) in order to examine and wash the filter element in solvent and then pan out any metal particles from the solvent.

That is what most shops will say!!!!

Or:

I have seen many poorly performing auto transmissions improved greatly by changing the fluid.

It is not a lot of money and is a LOT less than a rebuild.

snip

The transmission is on the left side, I do not know how the cooler lines are routed. You must identify any leak as what ever it is it is important and could be an indication of a major (or a minor) problem.. The power steering pump is on the right side and also uses Dexron fluid, or it could be coolant or brake fluid or grease from the CV joint boot. A brake fluid leak could be an indication that you are about to have a total failure of a hose or seal.

Good luck, YMMV

Reply to
Private

If amber = brown then its likely burnt. Unless you're looking at brake fluid...

I'm not going to read all of this page to see if it answers any of your questions but it does contain some stuff you should familiarize yourself with. -->

blah blah

AMber and brown are two differnt colors and older Dexron can take on a a redish/amber apperance without being burnt. When it is burnt it will smell burnt and loss its translucency too. Brwon is not good and black is even worse and usually mean failure in eminant.

SnoMan