Tuneup for road trip

Going to be driving my '96 SL1 4000(ish) miles through mostly desert and I'm wondering what kind of things I should be looking to tune up before I leave.

I've already gone over the A/C and I'm pretty sure it'll do alright, what other things should I be looking at?

This car usually runs around at temps between -22 and 86 so I'm not sure how it'll do in the heat (hoping to see 110 degrees).

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Cameron

Oil change, coolant flush and refill, check hoses/belts, tranny filter/fluid change, check/service brakes, ignition components (wires, plugs, etc.), air filter, pcv filter, ..... windshielf wiper fluid,.... tire wear and balance, wheel alignment. Hose off radiator and A/C evaporator (or is it the condensor that's up front???) for leaves, bugs, dust.

That's my comprehensive list!

Reply to
David Allen

To add to the response below, make sure you carry a spare belt. If you replace your hoses, keep the old as spares for your trip. Take a spare key because you never know. Bringing along extra coolant, could also be a good idea.

filter/fluid

Reply to
Kenneth White

Wow, 4000 miles through the desert? Have a place in mind for that 3000 mile oil change on the way? Might want to bring an extra quart or two of oil just in case.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Paluda

If you're worried about the car in the desert, you should also consider bringing a couple of gallons of water for the passengers.

Reply to
noyb