96 SL1 Codes?

Hi - We have a 96 SL1, and the check engine light came on. It seems to run fine, and the gas cap is tight (and no recent fill-up). Is there a way to read the engine codes without an OBD scanner? Thanks - Brian

Reply to
Brian Morgan

I believe 96 and newer uses OBD-II and you need something that plugs into the car (probably a scanner) - on the older OBD-I there was a trick with a paperclip (short two pins on the diagnostic plug) and your check engine light would flash a certain amount of times that would correspond to a chart of problem codes... ...sorry.

Maybe check

if you had a couple of minutes.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Try taking it to your local autozone or car parts store or the dealership, they will usally read the codes for free. They maynot be able to tell you what the code means (car parts store that is, not the dealer, they should tell you), but you can then look it up on the net.

Reply to
uknewwho