'53 Stude Serial Numbers

I bought a '53 two door hardtop with a plate on the firewall: 14G-K5 4166

I do not see any numbers on the drivers door pillar. Shouldn't there be numbers there which would match the title.

Thanks

Reply to
Larry Koenig

Oughta be. If it's not too rusty, pull the little apron thing from under the rear bumper, and look to see if there's any numbers stamped in the rear frame crossmember. If you can't find them, I can show you the ones on my '55, they are still visible on my car. They will be stamped on one of the bottom flanges, facing the ground. Those should be the same numbers that were on your apparently missing serial number plate. I haven't been presented with your situation before, but I don't recall being asked to present any car for a serial number check in MD (or in any state but PA for that matter, and I've also lived in OH, VA, MD, and MI.)

How's the car? Driver, project, parts...?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
Pat Drnec

CT verifies the serial numbers, too.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

...> I haven't been presented with your situation before, but I don't recall

When I went to get a title for the '47 Commander that I bought in Annapolis years ago, I had to get the State Police to come out and verify the identity of the car. Part of the problem was Maryland used the engine number when it was last registered. I had changed the engine and there was no mention of the actual serial number on the title. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

being asked to present any car for a serial number check in MD (or in any

Odd, I have registered my Scirocco, a 16V GTI, a turbo GTI, my 944, my

56J, my '62, and my '55 in Maryland and nobody has ever asked to verify the serial number. At least one of those cars had a title obtained from Broadway Title as well (because I was the first person to ever try to register the '62)

wow, I've had too many cars...

nate

Reply to
N8N

In Florida, they walk out and look at your serial number plate. They don't read it, but they take the walk out and look at it ... Jeff (Especially the smokers..) Rice PS: In Georgia, if it's old enough, they don't even need/want a title. They do it off of the bill of sale.

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Same in RI. Anything over ten years does not require a title.

OTOH, everything in TX is titled. Kind of a PIA...

JT

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

SC is the same, everything is titled... and don't try to bluff them with the "lost title" routine... they have records back to 1958. And it IS a PIA.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I always call a deputy and have a few copies of the DMV verification form. They almost always mess the first one up. Long ago when I bought the Daytona, I had to have a VIN verification done as even though the car was tagged here in Florida it didn't have a Florida title..only had a previous AL. tag slip. Go figure... Anyway, dumbass me was in a hurry and didn't double check the officer and sure as shit he wrote down the BODY number... the hood was open... I turned it in to the DMV and got back a title with that number...and it is still on it. I never have bothered to fix it. Various insurance companies never questioned it over the years and my current one (American Collectors) hasn't either. I once bought a car that had it's MSO number on the title instead of the VIN. A clerk at DMV spotted that and dug throught the records to fix it. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Floriduh is such a dorky state... We moved last October to Georgia. Transferred the convertible and pickup insurance to Georgia. Bought new plates and transferred titles to Georgia (when they were due).. When the wife's drivers license came due she got her new Georgia drivers license. Then..... 5 months later we get a notice of suspension for her Floriduh drivers license. Seems her insurance had lapsed and the Floriduh DMV suspends your drivers license if your insurance lapses. Well, ours did lapse, but that's because we dropped it and moved out. And I told them so. I was told, that we had to provide proof of insurance to Floriduh's DMV (and a special Floriduh DMV section to boot) to get the suspension notice removed. When I asked why bother if it isn't in existence, I was told that if the wife were to get stopped in any of the lower 48 states, or Canada, the suspended drivers license would show up (due to interstate reciprocity) and she might get arrested. All do to the Patriot Act (according to the Floriduh DMV guy).. I was instructed how to provide them with the info the Floriduh DMV required so the Floriduh DMV could fix the stupid problem their own Floriduh DMV bureaucracy started..... Did I say Floriduh enough times? Jeff (Duhhhhh.as in Floriduhhhh...) Rice

"Studebaker George" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

MD does the same thing, if you do not return your plates to the MVA in person the same day your insurance drops.

nate

(BTDT... what a disaster... took over a year to straighten it out)

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

A owner from Pennsylvania called me once about what to do about the DMV wanted to see the secret serial number on the frame of his Stude. They would not licence it without seeing it. I told him to put the VIN number on a piece of Dymo tape and glue it to the back frame spray it with undercoat and blow dust on it. Go to an other DMV office that does not know about the missing number. He did that and the examiner looked under the car found the number on the frame and gave him the title. I am not sure if Dymo tape is still available. Bob Kapteyn

Reply to
RBK.

just make sure you use an "I" for a "1" so it looks legit! LOL

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yea, but the guy wanted 5K for the damn thing.

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

A rational thinking human being would expect that in this computer age, life should be simpler and much more straight forward.

Not so... This past January, I served for eight days on a jury and yet, the measly check still hasn't arrived. When I called the county, they said no, it had not been paid yet but surely was in the "pipeline".

Two friggin' months... Bah!!!

JT

(That's my MAD money they playin' with!)

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Are the court systems up to minimum wage for jury duty yet?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud