how do you open a 87 avanti trunk?

I have looked every place but can not find it. I do not have a key for the gas door could that be it. is that key the same as the door lock? i do not have that one eather.I can see some boxes in the trunk thru a small hole in the shelf near one of the speaker swith a bunch of parts.thank for any help.

Reply to
FILLUP

I'm not sure about an Avanti as late as that, but I know on my grandma's '81 there's a little button on the inside of the gloxe compartment. Maybe it's the same.

Matthew Burnette

Reply to
mbstude

not completely sure about the 87's, but my 89 has one electrical pushbutton each for the gas filler door and trunk. The switches are located in the center console.

btw, I'm selling the 89 convertible if anyone is looking for one.

Jeff

FILLUP wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Grohs

whats the PRIMARY key and what does it fit?

am 'ASSUMING' its a chevy, square head..

IF SO, see if it fits the door? assuming NOT.. glove box lock? hope you got one.

IF this was a GM, the SECONDARY key fits the glove and trunk, HOWEVER the glove lock does NOT ahve the 6 cuts for the trunk..

if it IS a GM key and you do NOT have a locksmith handy, post back with a valid email and I will tell you what you got to do to trunk ASSUMING it is a GM, to get it unlocked.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I have an 87 Owners Manual online -

Page 24 says the center console, but neither it nor the console page (20) show where it is...

Reply to
SilverStude

Wow, if you can read that manual on your display, you've got a much better display than I have. I used to have an 89 briefly some years back, but darned if I remember.... my guess is that it would likely be inside the console, eg, under the arm rest cover, since it probably needs to be behind a locked door.

Reply to
WayneC

The "3 per line" page are only thumbnails. Each page is almost 500K

Reply to
SilverStude

Our 88 convertible only has the push-button release (inside the console): actually there are two buttons, one is of rthe gas cap release, the other is for the trunk. My 78 coupe trunk release is also only a button, but it's under the dashboard where your left knee would be.

I did rig an emergency pull-cable release for the hood latches, I've never thought about doing the same for the trunk.

Bob

Reply to
Bigbob62

Thanks for all the help. I found a 1/2" hole inside the console where the switch sould have been. i fished out a wire but the wire was sliced so i had to look under the shifter plate and found the other end of the wire.I put some juice to it and it poped open.thanks phil

Reply to
FILLUP

I Love a happy Ending!

Reply to