Identifying a transmission?

How can I tell if a transmission is a powershift by looking at it?

Joe Zeiger.

Reply to
63t-cab

If it has cooling lines, it's possible, but the model number on the serial plate will tell the tale.

63t-cab wrote:
Reply to
John Poulos

How many detents in the shifter? a FOM will go P-N-D-L-R, a Powershift goes P-R-N-D-2-1. Also a Powershift will always have the cooler line fittings on the passenger side; most FOMs do not have cooler fittings so if it doesn't have them it isn't a Powershift. There was a water-cooled "Heavy Duty" FOM though so if it does have the fittings you can't definitely say it's a Powershift without checking the shifter.

Also you can look at the tag; but I can't remember what color means what.

nate

(still looking for a long-tail HD FOM, actually)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It will have six indents (clicks) on the shift linkage.

JT

63t-cab wrote:
Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

The tranny came out of a 64 Daytona Conv.,that had bucket seats and console and powershift floor mounted shifter.we always thought it was a powershift,but it must be a FOM(no cooler lines). do the powershift and FOM share the same bellhousings?

Reply to
63t-cab

Yes, they bolt to the same bellhousings. Don't be too quick to judge it an FOM. It could have had the cooler lines removed and little 1/8 in. pipe plugs put in the holes. Check for them, the back on is right on the outside corner of the trans, just above the pan. Count those detents. Tim K.

Reply to
GTtim

Five detents,no lines,no plugs.so the car had buckets,and I guess the PS shifter was there to look cool,and to set off the seats?wonder how many other cars are not what they appear to be,kinda unusual combo is'nt it? well I'm glad I did'nt advertise it as a PS !

Reply to
63t-cab

Five detents in shift lever,no lines,no plugs.so being that this had buckets I guess the PS shifter was there just to look cool and to set off the buckets?is'nt that kind of unusual? and I wonder how many other cars are not what they appear to be?good thing I did'nt advertise it as a PS!

Reply to
63t-cab

I just took apart a GT Hawk that had the powershift shifter and the correct floor shift column in it. Of course, I ASSUMED it had a powershift in it since the car looked 'correct' including a radiator with the transmission cooler fittings in place.

Once I got the engine/transmission out, I realized that someone put a standard Flight-O-Matic in it.... Was a bit of a disappointment....

Reply to
Lee

Reply to
John Poulos

It's an anti-theft feature :)

I'm still trying to find where I saw the tip on using a Jeep part so I can search for a pic; if I can make that work with the early top bearing I will be a happy camper (and so will you, because you can sell me more stuff)

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

it's not all that hard... The shift lever still moves back and forth but, the detnets don't line up!

Reply to
Lee

Found it!

I don't think I read that post though; I didn't buy my first Stude until maybe 2001 or 2002. I still think I read it in a DD book.

A GIS for Jeep or AMC steering columns is proving fruitless, all I can find are pics of tilt columns. I wish I were at my parents' place; I'd just go poke around one of the several junkyards within a half hour's drive until I found something that would work or else determined that the idea wouldn't work the way I envision it.

nate

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel